In the Kitchen...Can Openers

Do you remember when Mom graduated from the dime store hand can opener to a nice wall-mounted can opener?
When electric can openers, often with a combination knife sharpener on the back, were the craze in the '50's and 60's?  Often in harvest gold or avacado plastic?  We both had one.
Funny how no one wants to give counter or outlet space to an electric one now, including me.
Our newer can openers:  Bottom, Myrna's Swing-A-Way, hand held Swing-A-Way
Top:  Zyliss (yellow), Rösle can opener, bottle opener; EZoff jar opener
Myrna uses a wall mounted Swing-A-Way that our small town hardware store still stocks.   She likes it because it doesn’t take too much hand strength to open a can.  Our mom had one for years too. 
I also had a hand held Swing-a-Way hand can opener for years, but I found it was hard to keep the gears clean because they came in contact with the can contents.
Now I’m using my favorite, a Rösle  hand can opener that I can hang on my utensil rack or throw in a drawer - since I home can, I don't actually use many cans anymore.  This can opener cuts along the side of the can’s rim without leaving a sharp edge, and the opener doesn’t contact the can’s contents, and the lid can’t fall into the can.  The drawback to this opener is that you can’t press the lid down into the can to drain the contents, as the rim is on the lid, not on the can.
Another can opener I use regularly is the yellow one from Zyliss, that opens bottles and those pesky pop-top rings on canned goods.  The stainless steel one is a can and bottle opener that I use to open home-canned jars mostly, no brand name on it, but it hangs on my tool rack.
I think the best jar opener is this one from EZ off; I keep it mounted under my cabinet, the biggest advantage is I can use BOTH hands to hold the jar.  I have had several like this over the years and they really work on all sizes of bottle and jar lids.

If you can’t use a regular can opener because of physical limitations, there are still several brands of electric ones available.  

5 comments:

  1. Mom had the swing away for a long long time. I have a hand can opener and also an electric. I use the electric because for me it is easier to handle it. My hands shake now, and with the swing away, I would make a huge mess! Mind you I still do with the electric, but I can clean the counter easier than the whole floor (although the dog enjoys when I spill)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing about openers, I just ordered the Zyliss opener for the ring top cans, I have so much trouble getting them open. It looks like just what I need. Looked up on Amazon, and there it was...Yea!!
    Always enjoy your blog. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it...even my husband has started using mine!

      Delete
  3. I like the one I have now that cuts the lid off and it doesn't fall into the can

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that everyone must have a can opener that works best for them. I now use a hand-swing-away instead of the wall mount so I can open a can over the sink. My fingers are getting some arthritis in them.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.