Cookbook Reviews...1946 Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook


Our mom didn’t have many cookbooks…one that was used the most was this 1946 Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  First published during World War II, this edition is sparse compared to my later editions of this cookbook…I have 4 versions, ranging from this one to the 2010 edition.  This version was first printed in 1941, with more printings in 1942, 1943, and 1946.
This is still my favorite…Myrna gave it to me, it is taped up at the spine, and some of the pages are loose, but I look in it first when I am looking for something Mom made, or just a simple version of any basic recipe.  It has clippings from the California newspaper where we lived during the war pasted inside the front cover, including directions for making lye soap, library paste and Devil’s food cake.
It is a link to the line of women who nurtured our family through the years, and I treasure it as such.

Some of the recipes I use all the time from this cookbook are:

Mom’s Deviled Eggs – the recipe Myrna and I agree is the ONE for deviled eggs
Mom’s Chocolate Frosted Cookies – my absolute favorite cookie recipe since childhood!
Bonnie’s Strawberry Rhubarb Pie – the only rhubarb pie recipe I like!
Old-fashioned Cooked Salad Dressing – I make this regularly instead of using mayonnaise or Miracle Whip - very easy to prepare and stores a week or so

3 comments:

  1. I have this cookbook also. Strawberry Rhubarb Pie for sure! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure!! I love old cookbooks, the recipes are often better than what can be found today. I wish we had been able to save my mother's cookbooks. Most of hers were from the 1940s and 1950s and had great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this cookbook also. It belonged to my great aunt and my mom gave it to me. I've made several recipes from it, but not the chocolate cookies. I'm going to have to try those very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.