Family Favorites...Old Fashioned Three Flour Bread

Here’s an old-fashioned bread recipe that I’ve modernized using a heavy-duty mixer and instant yeast.  I use a medium rye flour, and bread flour, along with whole wheat flour.  I have to say, the rye is not really noticeable for taste, but it makes a nice firm-textured bread for sandwiches or toast, and we had some when we sliced it with sorghum from our local sorghum producer, Maasdam’s.  I use lard from our local locker plant, because it isn’t hydrogenated.  Otherwise use butter or salad oil.
Check out our mixer bread information HERE.  Remember, you can also make this recipe by hand too, the way I did for years.            
I braided one loaf and made another in a 4” x 12” pan for smaller slices this time.  Of course, you can make this bread by hand as well.  This bread gets a thumbs-up at our house.  If you use active dry yeast, rising times about double.
Old Fashioned Three Flour Bread
  4        Cups  Bread Flour -- 1 pound 4 ounces
  1 ½    Cups  Whole Wheat Flour -- 6 ounces
     ½    Cup  Rye Flour -- 2 ounces
     ½    Cup  Brown Sugar -- 4 ounces packed
  2        Tablespoons  Sugar
  2        Packages  Instant Yeast or bread machine yeast
  2        Teaspoons  Salt
  2        cups  milk
     ½    Cup  Water
  3        Tablespoons  Lard -- melted and cooled (or butter or oil)
In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, rye flour, sugars, yeast and salt.  In a saucepan, heat the milk and water to 120-125°.
Add to dry ingredients; then add cooled lard and beat until smooth.  Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.  Change to a dough hook and knead 6 minutes or knead by hand 8 minutes.  Cover bowl tightly and let rest in a warm place 10 minutes.
Punch down dough, turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half, divide each half into 3 ropes; about 15" long.  Braid 3 ropes and place into a greased 9 x 5 x 3" loaf pan.  Repeat with second loaf.
Cover and let rise 25-30 minutes.  Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes, or until 200° on an instant-read thermometer.  Remove from pans to wire rack to cool.
If desired, mix an egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water and brush on loaves just before baking.  If needed, cover lightly with a piece of foil or parchment paper to prevent overbrowning the last 10 minutes of baking.
Yield:  "2 Loaves"

7 comments:

  1. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. It is cold here. So, I imagine you have cold weather there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread looks delicious and nothing like the smell of homemade bread on a cold, chilly day; or anytime really.
    My daughter requested Rye Bread some weeks ago of which I can no longer find here is Rye flour. All the grocery stores around here just quit carrying it. :{

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I haven't shopped for rye flour in my local grocery stores because I usually buy it in bulk at one of the nearby Amish groceries when I make a trip there...their turnover is much faster. Seems like most locals here don't actually use much flour; guess they buy their bread and pie crust ready-made.

      Delete
  3. If my store doesn't have an item, I ask them to do a special order for me. I think most stores will do that for a customer. My store stopped carrying several of my items, so I just fill out a form or call the gal who does that. If it's an item still on their list of available products, I have my order within a couple of days. Bob's Red Mill seems to be available in a variety of flours in most stores. It's found near the regular flour, just in a smaller bag. Natural Food Stores also have a variety. I miss having an Amish store in the area, though in Indiana we had to drive about an hour or so to one.

    This bread sounds really good. I agree: there's nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread! ...just be sure to have softened butter nearby! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look for breads I can make in my machine. I wouldn't be able to make this one unless I could successfully divide it in half. I have several bread machine books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadine
      Here is a half recipe, follow your bread machine directions for similar recipes.

      Family Favorites...Old Fashioned Three Flour Bread
      2 cups Bread Flour -- 10 ounces
      3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour -- 3 ounces
      1/4 cup Rye Flour -- 1 ounces
      1/4 cup Brown Sugar -- 2 ounces packed
      1 tablespoon Sugar
      1 package Instant Yeast or bread machine yeast
      1 teaspoon Salt
      1 cup milk
      1/4 cup Water
      1 1/2 tablespoons Lard -- melted and cooled (or butter or oil)

      In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, rye flour, sugars, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the milk and water to 120-125°.
      Add to dry ingredients; then add cooled lard and beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Change to a dough hook and knead 6 minutes or knead by hand 8 minutes. Cover bowl tightly and let rest in a warm place 10 minutes.
      Punch down dough, turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half, divide each half into 3 ropes; about 15" long. Braid 3 ropes and place into a greased 9 x 5 x 3" loaf pan. Repeat with second loaf.
      Cover and let rise 25-30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes, or until 200° on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from pans to wire rack to cool.
      If desired, mix an egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water and brush on loaves just before baking. If needed, cover lightly with a piece of foil or parchment paper to prevent overbrowning the last 10 minutes of baking.
      Yield: "1 Loaves""

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Sue! Maybe I can give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.