In the Kitchen...Loaf Pans

Loaf pans…I have a pretty big collection because I am a regular bread baker.  But they are useful for so much else than just yeast breads…quick breads, loaf cakes, especially pound cake types, and meat and fish loaves. 
I currently have the pans in the top photo, on the left, 4 inch wide pans, 10” and 12” long, the mini loaf pans, center is an 8 x 4” pan (not to be confused with an 8 ½ x 4 ½” pan which is a standard medium loaf pan, and on the right, 4 x 7” pans.
In the bottom left corner are 12” long Wilton loaf pans that Myrna recently purchased to replace her 9 ½ x 5 ½” loaf pans that were no longer releasing her loaves well. 
On the right bottom is a meatloaf pan, of which there are several types.  Almost all of the critics of the meatloaf pans complain that the liner is hard to separate from the bottom pan, although they like being able to drain off the fat.  I don’t have a pan like this, I use a regular loaf pan.
I also don’t have any 4 ½” x 8 ½” pans, which are standard loaf pans that hold 3 cups of flour bread recipes, nor do I have any 9 ½” x 5 ½” pans left…I much prefer the narrower pans, that give us more slices that are more square and pretty too.  But I had both and they were the only sizes I had for many years, and only recently passed them on.
The narrow pans are often sold as quick bread pans.  You can also buy long pans with tabs on them for baking loaf angel food and chiffon cakes…I have never used one, but then, I don’t have an angel food tube pan either!
I usually use parchment paper to line my pans for quick breads for easy release.  I simply grease my pans for yeast bread with shortening…I never use pan release sprays because I don’t like the gummy residue they leave behind.
Some of the pans we have are:
Wilton Recipe Right 2 Piece Long Loaf Pan Set  4 1/2 x 12”  hold the same as a 5 ½ x 9” loaf pan
Norpro loaf pans  I have both 10” and 12” long pans
Medium Loaf Pans 8 ½ x 4 ½”
My 12” pans are by Kaiser of Germany, and much heavier than the Norpro ones. 

Some of the recipes in the photo above:

3 comments:

  1. No Pyrex pans? I've always used them, like them very much. Good idea on the parchment paper, I'll try that. All those breads look so yummy! Will have to try the honey wheat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been years since I've had a pyrex loaf pan...Myrna's more of a pyrex fan than I am, although it makes the best pie plate.
      The honey wheat bread is one of my husband's favorites...most of the recipes from the Land O' Lakes cookbooks are very good.

      Delete
  2. Oh, my, I also have different sizes of loaf pans of which I also have that meatloaf pan, pyrex and corning ware loaf pans along with a couple of the silicone pans of which I don't use very often but I must say; the silicone pans makes for easy release of a block of ice.
    Of course I don't use all my loaf pans just for bread but for other things as well

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.