Baked French Fries

  I have made this recipe (directions) for oven baked French Fries several times.They are not the same as the French Fries you get from deep fat frying or at your favorite Fast Food place, but they are good and easy to do. A lot less calories and your whole house won’t smell like McDonalds or Wendy’s. It is not really a recipe as such but more directions. 
 You can choose how many potatoes you are going to use and Russets or baking potatoes work best. That is really about all the potatoes I ever buy. Once in awhile I do buy Yukon Gold as the waxier potatoes work the best in potato salad but when I don’t have them on hand the bakers work fine. 
 The recipe is from the web site The Spruce Eats one of sites I look at usually once a day. I have never bought anything from them, they keep their selling apart from the other things so you can look without having to wade though the things for sale. 

Baked French Fries
Ingredients
4 medium baking potatoes
3 tablespoons oil (olive, vegetable)
Seasoned or plain salt.
 Directions
Heat oven to 450°
Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil Large enough to hold the potatoes in one layer.
Coat pan with a small amount of oil so potatoes don’t stick.
Peel or not peel and slice potatoes lengthwise between 1/4 to 1/2 thick, slice again 1/4 to 1/2 to make strips. Dry the potatoes and toss with oil in a bowl until well coated.
Spread the potatoes in a single layer and bake for about 10 minutes. With a pancake turner turn over and bake another 10 minutes or until fries are tender and browned. Sprinkle with your favorite topping, I just use plain salt.*


*If you have a convection oven they will brown better.

6 comments:

  1. Homemade fries are so much better than using the packaged frozen fries.

    I normally cut my potatoes into strips or wedges; soak in water for a few hours; (I usually soak mine overnight)
    By soaking them in water first removes the starch on the outside of the potato, which will help the fries to get the perfect crispness.
    I then do a deep frying method (blanch)into hot oil and deep fry for about 3-5 minutes.
    Removing fries from oil, drain on paper towels; season and then place on preheated baking sheet and put in oven or in my case I use my air fryer and finish off baking my fries.
    While your oven and baking sheet is preheating; Whisk together oil, 1 T. cornstarch, and salt and toss the cooled fries in the mixture. This coating will help get the fries extra crispy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good, but for just one these are quicker to get ready.

      Delete
  2. I love fries boy am not eating white potatoes right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame, I would really hate to have to give up potatoes.

      Delete
  3. I will definitely try these. Have you done a blog post with your recommendations of other websites or blogs? The first thing I did when I thought you were retiring was look for a similar blog online, but no luck. Yours is exceptional. Also as a by the way I had pie last weekend in the cafe in Sully that you recommended once. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't been up to Sully in awhile...now we may need some of that pie!

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.