Equipment Reviews...Custard Cups


I don’t know if most cooks depend on custard cups as much as I do, but if you don’t you should!
I use them for serving everything…custard, of course, big muffins, as dishes for individual servings of gelatin  salads, canned or fresh, cut up fruit,  puddings, for sides that can be messy, like baked beans or marinated salads, the uses are endless and portion control is easy.
I also use them for melting lard or butter in the microwave, (with the cover on loosely), and for mise en place (for premeasuring ingredients for a dish before starting preparation).
They hold small amounts of snacks, leftovers for the fridge, and can be used for baby food, although none of the lids are spill proof.
I NEVER buy custard cups without matching lids…lids are gold; it takes me years to use up a roll of plastic wrap.  I have passed on all of my custard cups that lacked a lid.

The cups in the photo; top to bottom on the right, are from Libby, Anchor Hocking and Anchor Hocking 1 cup size.  I don't see Pyrex cups with lids.  
I have some of all of the cups in the photo…I usually use the Libby ones (I have a dozen) for dessert and salad presentations, and the plain ones for mise en place and in the microwave.

7 comments:

  1. I have some of the ones you bake in and use them when I make the Pioneer Woman's baked fudge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have a selection of these type of cups but none with lids...mmmm I need to think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love custard cups. I have 2 sets of 8 Libby glass cups with lids. They get more use for everyday things more than they should. I keep one set with my baking bowls and the other set I use for holding snacks or meal prep. Great little bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A person can never have too many custard cups and I so agree; they must have lids to go with but I have to admit, custard cups is the first item I go looking for when going to thrift stores, etc. I have some small ones in my craft desk drawer to hold paper clips, thumb tacks, etc.
    The ones I had that didn't have lids I would plant a small succulent in them and give as a gift along with small gift basket or just give by itself to someone who loves and enjoys plants. Those without lids I will also incorporated them in a table center piece decorations; some I gave away and the gal that I gave them to, makes candles so guess what, she turned them custard cup dishes into lovely candles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use custard cups daily in this house-snacks, desserts, melting stuff in the micro--you name it. I don't have any lidded cups, and just the other day I was bemoaning that I had no 1-cup containers with lids. Thanks to you, Myrna & Sue, I'm having a lightbulb moment! Wonder where I can get those lidded cups cheapest...?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found Pyrex 1 cup size with lids. Might want to read the comments; one buyer had one explode in her dish rack. Weird!
    https://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Storage-Round-Clear-Containers/dp/B00TOX2MGO/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?keywords=Anchor+Hocking+Classic+Glass+Food+Storage+Containers+with+Lids%2C+1+Cup&pd_rd_i=B00TOX2MGO&pd_rd_r=4d250936-0d8d-43e0-96b0-cfe63ddab80e&pd_rd_w=W1YrS&pd_rd_wg=S4rCr&pf_rd_p=5c5ea0d7-2437-4d8a-88a7-ea6f32aeac11&pf_rd_r=6V9ZHP2BQZ7HS2WQGXDP&qid=1553864010&s=home-garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pyrex ones you found look very similar to the Anchor Hocking ones I have...mine are older; haven't had any explode anywhere, even in the microwave!
      Sadly, not everything you purchase on the internet is a quality product, I suspect sometimes people have access to factory rejects and sell them as good ones. Happened to me when I bought a waffle iron at a discount mall store...it caught on fire when we plugged it in the first time, but it was a reputable brand!
      I understand newer pyrex glassware isn't as good as the old stuff...I shop for some of mine at thrift stores.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.