Shrimp Alfredo


        
I had some heavy cream left, I always keep shrimp, shredded Parmesan cheese and peas in the freezer; as my husband said “the perfect Sunday lunch”.
I never realized how easy making Alfredo sauce was until I read the “Joy of Cooking”; now we have it in some form almost every time I have a little heavy cream on hand.   It only takes a half hour or less for this dish.
I buy frozen shrimp, because here in the Midwest, I can thaw frozen shrimp as well as the folks behind the fish and meat counter, and for less money.  None of it is really fresh here!  And, I can buy it when it’s on sale and keep it a couple months for several meals.  Frozen shrimp that says “50-70 per pound” with the tails off are a good compromise of size and price for dishes like these, as well as pasta salads or stir-fries.
I used “bowtie” pasta today, I also use spaghetti or orecchiette, depending on my mood.  
I buy real Parmigiano Reggiano and shred it in my food processor and freeze it in 1 ounce snack-size bags inside a freezer bag; ready to use.  A little of the good stuff goes a long way with flavor.  
The same with the butter; use the real thing; with only 4 ingredients in the sauce, they should be good.

 Shrimp Alfredo

  2         Ounces Pasta –Bowties, Spaghetti or Orecchiette
     ¼      Cup  Peas -- fresh or frozen
  1         Tablespoon  Butter
  6          ounces  shrimp -- frozen, thawed in refrigerator overnight
  1          teaspoon  garlic -- minced
     ¼       cup  Heavy Cream
  1           Ounce  Parmesan cheese -- shredded - divided

Thaw shrimp according to package directions; in refrigerator overnight.  Drain well.
Heat water in 2 quart saucepan.  Cook the pasta al dente; according to package directions, until tender and not rubbery.
Place the peas in a colander and drain the pasta over the peas.
Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Sauté the shrimp 2 or 3 minutes.  Stir in garlic and sauté for a minute more.
Add the drained pasta and peas to the skillet along with heavy cream and HALF the cheese.  Toss over low heat until pasta is well coated.
Serve immediately, topped with remaining cheese.

2 Servings
Loosely adapted from "The Joy of Cooking Pasta"             

5 comments:

  1. Delightul and simple too! Please share this with the Food on Friday crowd over at Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple and delicious! It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh!! Why do I always forget about shrimp and Alfredo??? This looks delicious!
    Thanks for the reminder!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, that looks so good. I found you via Carole's Chatter!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.