Cooking with Lard...Never Fail Lard Biscuits


After I found a good source for lard I turned to my 60’s and 70’s Farm Journal Cookbook collection, where lard is listed as the FIRST choice of fat in this recipe for biscuits. They called them “never fail” so I figured I couldn’t go too far wrong.  At about 7¢ you can't beat 'em.




I keep the lard I am currently using either in a fruit jar or a covered measuring cup in the refrigerator. It was cool when I measured it out for this recipe; I think that made it easier to cut in.  
I cut the recipe in half for the 2 of us, expecting some leftovers. Wrong this time! My husband’s first comment was “Now THIS is GOOD!” The biscuits are very light, as you can see, tender, but not crumbly. Even the ones I patted out to use the scraps were tender. The dough is very easy to work with, I sprinkle my board with flour I keep in a $5 stainless steel shaker for making pasta.
If I’m in a hurry, I just cut my biscuits into squares with a sharp bench knife. If you use a cutter or knife, be sure to cut straight down; do not twist, to get a good even rise and that “split” in the middle of your biscuit.




Never-Fail Baking Powder Biscuits

2 cups Flour, All-purpose – sifted (9 ounces)
1 tablespoon Baking Powder  
1 teaspoon Salt
1/3 cup Lard
3/4 cup Milk  

Sift dry ingredients together. Cut in lard until mixture resembles coarse meal or crumbs.
Make a hollow in the flour-shortening mixture and stir in enough milk to make a soft dough that leaves the sided of the bowl and sticks to the mixing fork.
Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead with the heel of the hand 15 times. Roll 1/2" thick.
Cut with a 2" cutter; place close together on a baking sheet for soft sides, 1" apart for crusty sides on ungreased baking sheet. I use parchment paper.  Bake in very hot oven (450°) for 10-12 minutes. Serve at once.
If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.

12 biscuits          
"Homemade Bread" By Farm Journal - 1969

March 2019 cost: 7¢ per biscuit

Per Serving: 124 Calories; 5g Fat (36.5% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6mg Cholesterol; 307mg Sodium.


11 comments:

  1. Your biscuis look delicious! We are helping our daudter and her family move to Madrid, Iowa this weekend. We are looking forward to visiting Iowa for the first time and seeing some of the lovely sites you post about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your family will like the people, I'm sure! Good luck with the move.

      Delete
  2. I see those biscuits and swear I can hear the angels singing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! These look so tempting. I'm convinced to find a good source for Lard. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a biscuit this morning and I'm sure it wasn't as good as these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am biscuit challenged. I'm getting better, the self rising flour helps,.....some. At least they are not hockey pucks anymore :) I have lard here at the house....things just taste better with it don't they? I like to use buttermilk also. Thank you for the recipe...they sure look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I also like self-rising flour for biscuits when I have it. I can't buy Martha White in our location anymore though. My husband simply doesn't like biscuits made with anything but lard!

      Delete
  6. My son made these substituting whole wheat flour for white flour. They are delicious and a perfect texture, I think due to the lard. Thanks for the great recipe!! Eating one now as I write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Lard Biscuits converted my husband from a biscuit ho hum guy to a biscuit lover.

      Delete
  7. I made these this morning with lard gifted to me by a friend from her own hogs. Absolutely delicious!! I'll use this recipe for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you lucky to get that nice lard. I wish I could claim any credit for the recipe, but it's a classic and you've found out why!

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.