Sloppy Joes

This is a recipe for Sloppy Joes I have made for many years. My kids as teenagers and our whole family likes these better than any other recipe I have tried.
Simple to make and easily added to or made in a smaller amount, these are quick, delicious and well worth the small amount of time and effort to make.
The recipe is from a 1968 Campbell’s Cooking with Soup cookbook. This book has a lot of easy, quick recipes. If you see one at a book sale you would be well advised to buy it, though I have only seen them on rare occasions. 
I now make this and freeze it in portions for one so I can have just one serving and as I no longer can eat gluten I eat this over rice. Not as good as a nice toasted bun but it works for people with Celiac. I add a dash of hot pepper sauce to mine, though this is spicy enough for most people.
Sloppy Joes
6 servings

1 pound ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper
1 can (10 3/4 ounce) condensed tomato soup
6 buns, split and toasted

Brown onion, celery and seasoning in small amount oil:
Add ground beef and brown.
Add soup: simmer to blend flavors.
Serve on toasted buns.

6 comments:

  1. I love sloppy joes. These look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did my kids growing up. I still like it today and make it up and divide and freeze extra in portion size for one. Already cooked and all I have to do is reheat.
      I think it is the amount of celery and onion to ground beef and the chili powder with the tomato soup that we like the flavor so much better.

      Delete
  2. The last time I made Sloppy Joes for a large crowd I used 5 lbs. of good ground beef.
    For small crowd I use less beef and any that is left over I package and put in freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't freezers handy! Nice to have something cooked that only needs to be warmed before eating.

      Delete
  3. Boy does this bring back memories! We had sloppy joes for dinner at least once a week (sometimes twice if Mom forgot to put other meat out to thaw). Us kids loved it no matter how many times it was served. With a slice of cheddar and some sliced dill pickles across the top, we thought it was gourmet eating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes to the dill pickles and it needs some potato chips along side. Not french fries as this is supposed to be quick and easy so potato chips where what was served with the sandwich.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.