Cooking with Shortening...Homemade Pan Release

Small amount of pan release
 I recently saw the directions for making a flour and shortening mix for greasing baking pans. Then when I bought some older Pillsbury paperback  cookbooks at a used book sale there it was again. Must be that I was meant to make it, I thought. 
 Well, I had a bundt cake I was wanting to try and I know any of you who have tried to grease a bundt pan and then flour it know what a pain that is. I really don’t like sprays as they are hard to wash out of the pan afterwards and I think they leave an aftertaste.
Greased Bundt Pan
 This could not be simpler to make or use. Just be sure you use shelf stable shortening like Crisco. I made just a small amount to test it and now will make a larger amount to have on hand with all of the holiday and winter baking coming up. 
Directions
 Take two parts of shortening to one part of flour, such as one cup of shortening to one half cup of flour. With a fork mix well and store in an air tight container either on a shelf in a cool and dark cupboard or in your refrigerator. If storing in refrigerator it might be easier to work with if you take it out a little early to warm some.
 Using a pastry brush, napkin or paper towel spread in your pan. Ergo, greased and floured all at once!

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought so, I really don't like the spray cans and this is so easy to make.

      Delete
  2. I have been making pan spread for years from a recipe found in an old Spry cookbook. It combines equal parts of shortening, flour, and oil. I keep a container in the fridge at all times for emergency baking. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see at least two of you use oil in your mix, is it hard to get it mixed in?

      Delete
  3. My pan release recipe is a bit different which I have used for years and works like a charm.
    My recipe; equal parts of flour, solid shortening(Crisco) and vegetable oil
    Combine all the ingredients in mixing bowl and using a hand mixer, mix until it's smooth and creamy.
    Store in glass jar and store on counter top or in the pantry but I store mine in the refrigerator.
    Using a pastry brush or paper towel coat your pans well.
    Note; it will last longer by storing in the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been making mine is smaller amounts and so far haven't used the mixer but as it keeps well in the fridge I will have to try doing a larger batch. Why do you think the oil helps? Maybe easier to spread?

      Delete
    2. I do make mine in rhe mixer--usually before making another recipe so I don't have to wash the bowl. The oil mixes right in easily. The pan spread goes on easily and doesn't seem to leave a residue like the sprays.

      Delete
    3. I am going to try adding the oil the next time I make some. I also think the sprays leave a residue that just doesn't wash out. Thanks for the oil suggestion.

      Delete
  4. using the oil makes it smoother and creamier, providing it is mixed well, and yes, makes it easier to spread as well. I use a hand mixer to mix it up really well and then pour into pint size canning jar.
    I usually mix equal parts using 1/2 cup each of the flour, Crisco, and oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen, I am going to try making it like yours when I need to make some more.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.