Fall Shopping Trip...

On left:  Myrna's freezer before restocking;
On right, Sue's freezer after restocking  
 

After defrosting our freezers, Myrna and I made separate trips to Costco (about 70 miles for us) to restock before winter weather sets in.   Myrna and her daughter went together and shopped for both households; my husband and I had to also look at both a housewares store and a lumber yard while we were there.
I purchased salmon, shrimp, fish, chicken, and bacon to carry us through until spring.  I purchase beef, pork, sausage and ham locally when it’s on sale around the holidays…both of us especially like Frick’s hams from Missouri.  I also buy cheese and frozen vegetables on sale locally.  I usually buy a year’s supply of things like brats and ground beef during sales before the summer holidays, Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day.
While at Costco, I also refilled my pantry, with 5# of honey, olive oil, maple syrup, wild rice, brown rice in a 12# bag, pecans, coffee beans and a bottle of sherry for cooking.
We both buy most of our paper goods and personal care items there too.
Because of the distance, I use all the coupons available for things I need, but I buy full-price items too even if I don't have coupons, as they are still much cheaper than locally, and it’s less expensive to make fewer trips than to save on a few coupons.
After a trip like this, I repackage everything for the freezer in meal-size portions, usually in quart freezer bags I also buy at Costco.

Myrna's storage, 
Sue's is similar  
Myrna says:
On my trip to Costco I stocked up on paper goods, toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, and paper plates.
I bought pecans, fish, butter and chocolate for baking.
I also stocked up on over the counter drugs, hearing aid batteries, and toothpaste and toothbrushes. The tooth paste and brushes will last a year for just me and the rest of the items will last at least six months.
I have a Doctor appointment then and will go to Costco again. I try to make each trip when I have other reasons to travel to Des Moines. I try like Sue to use coupons but will pay full price rather than waste gas making many trips and using up time and money.
 I will fill in at our local stores for meat, milk and eggs, also cereal and potatoes.
I had let my stand alone freezer run down so I could defrost it and will now wait till Ground Beef goes on sale and buy it in the 10 pound tubes. I repackage it in ¼ pound package as that is good for one person and freeze it.

7 comments:

  1. You two are the best home managers! I would love to be your neighbor. : )
    I enjoy having a stocked pantry and freezers, but I'm still having trouble with buying too much, even though our son hasn't lived at home for seven years!
    What kind of sherry from Costco do you buy for cooking, Sue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought Sheffield dry sherry this time...it isn't expensive. I buy it in the liquor department...they don't always have it. I'm not particular about brand for cooking; I just don't buy "cooking" sherry, as it's not good quality and can be salty too. Our local liquor store doesn't carry sherry at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sue. I've only purchased cooking sherry, but plan to look for the "real stuff" at Costco when I'm there later this week. I assumed there would be many choices for brands or varieties, but that may not be the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheffield is the brand I try to buy also. I have bought it at Costco but will buy another brand if they don't have it. It is, we think, especially good in gravy giving the gravy a nice deep taste.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you are all organized and stocked up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue is better at than I am. I do try now that I am getting older and wiser?

      Delete
    2. We can hope...I get tired of eating the same thing if we guess wrong!

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.