Small Recipes...Betty Crocker's Dinner for Two Cook Book

Betty Crocker’s Dinner for Two Cook Book was published in 1958…I was still in high school.  I don’t think I purchased this book until the 70’s, when I probably picked it up at a book or yard sale.  My copy is, however, very well used by now, the pages getting a little brown around the edges. 
Both Myrna and I love this book because the portions are sensibly small, the recipes are varied, don’t use many convenience foods, and allow for leftovers only where “cooking once to serve twice” seems desirable.  
This book covers the basics like making coffee, gravy, pie crust and biscuits, and “reputation” recipes that they thought everyone should master, like green salads, broiling steaks and hamburgers, fried chicken, roast pork and mashed potatoes.
They also have chapters on holiday and special occasion meals, budget meals, regional and international recipes and outdoor dinners.  They cover shopping, setting up a kitchen and setting the table. 
What I especially like is the format, which starts with menus and then gives the recipes.  When I need some help with some menu ideas, I check this book.  
Many of my regular, every day recipes have come from this book or several other books from the same series, Good and Easy Cook Book 1954Guide to Easy Entertaining 1959, and Cooking Calendar 1962.
Myrna and I still found plenty of recipes to try.  We'll share some in the next couple of weeks.

7 comments:

  1. Betty Crocker was a guide that a lot of use to learn how to cook from. I still have my red covered one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this book on my shelves since somewhere in the 1960s. Although I've used it a lot over the years, you've reminded me to sit down one of these winter nights and look through it from cover to cover again. I'm betting I'll be earmarking more than one "new" recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have several cookbooks like this and love them all....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty Crocker has some of the best cookbooks as well as recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mom has the brown cover version from the mid-60's. As we were a small family, she and I both learned to cook from it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have collected quite a few of these hardback, spiral bound Betty Crocker cookbooks - beginning with the cookie edition from the late 1960s that I grew up baking from. This one sounds like another gem from that series. Hopefully, I can find one! I agree with the previous commentors, Betty Crocker recipes are usually straight-forward and dependable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had this cook book "Dinner for two" since I was a teenage. It is my favorite cookbook.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.