Small Recipes... Oven Fried Potatoes


 The Going Solo in the Kitchen cookbook has this recipe for Oven Fried Potatoes that I tried today. Quite good and very easy to do. Not a lot of mess and you can easily size it up or down. 
 I used a medium potato instead of the large one she calls for and the smaller amount of oil. It seems like it is not enough oil but it is, Just a light coating on both sides is what you need. Put the oil on one side of the pan so you can coat each slice by itself. 
 They were brown and crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. I tested one with a sharp knife before I took them out to eat and the time was right with what the recipe called for. You might want to check yours sooner or bake them a little longer if your oven varies a lot.
Oven Baked Potato
1 medium to large potato Russet type
½ to 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
salt
Directions
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Peel the potato and slice ½ to 3/4 inches thick. Put in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes.
Drain the slices and throughly dry them. Put the oil in the pan and coat each slice lightly in the oil. Arrange in a single layer and bake in a 4509°F. oven for 15 minutes.

Turn over and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with salt before serving.

5 comments:

  1. I do something similar to this. I leave the peel on and cut them in chunks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do them that way also, this tastes more like pan fried potatoes I think.

      Delete
  2. that sounds interesting to me, too; because they are a little more hands off than frying potatoes in a skillet. sometimes I don't make them because I have other things going on the the stove top, but we love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hands off is why I make them. I can then watch what else I have on the stove. I do have a counter top convection oven so I am not heating my large oven for just one potato.

      Delete
  3. Cooking at 4509 degree oven shouldn't take long

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.