Saturday thoughts...Food Waste


 Using and not wasting food is one thing both of us try to do. We learned at an early age that you didn’t toss away good food but ate it as leftovers or used it in a different way in a different meal.  Now day’s, with Stores having some problems stocking and finances tight it is even more important. 
 This is often a problem when you are cooking for just one. I find that I have problems with making myself believe 1 ounce of pasta is enough for one person but using left over pasta is not a problem.
 Potatoes are one of my favorites and getting smaller sized baking potatoes right now is a problem. A peeled, raw potato doesn’t keep well so I bake a larger one and make two meals from it. Half of the potato to eat for a meal and the other half I put in a plastic zip lock bag and later in the week it gets sliced and fried in butter for a second meal. Often if I am fixing potatoes that have to be cooked I will add an extra potato to have one on hand for salad or just to reheat. Makes for an easy supper and saves me the time to bake or boil one.
 I am sure many of our readers have ways to use up leftovers (planned or not) this is just one way I can help my budget and I will eat a better meal if I can just pull something from the fridge that is already half fixed. Check your fridge and shelves to see what you can make.

2 comments:

  1. We've cut way down in how much we prepare for meal quantity. I found that we usually would not eat the left overs more than 2 times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I get tired of leftovers also. My daughter and family are terrible about eating them so she tries very hard to not make more than they will eat.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.