Saturday Thoughts...Long ago Mixes


  
There are some mixes that I used for many years that are no longer available. The first years I was married Mixes were very popular as it gave you a good meal or dessert and saved some time. I wouldn’t mind seeing some of them come back on the market.
 One of my favorites and I would still buy it today if it was available was the Date Bar Mix. It was very good and Dates were hard to buy except around the Holidays. Everything was in the box and so handy for a quick treat with a cup of coffee or tea.
Then for a little while you could buy pie crust sticks. I tried them once and no one would eat the crust so never used it again. You still had to roll it out and it was just as easy to make it from scratch. 
 From even earlier, in our house we used margarine that had to be colored. 
We grew up in Minnesota where you couldn’t buy or sell colored margarine. Several other states had similar laws like that. It wasn’t until 1963 that the state legislature finally voted to legalize yellow margarine. And even then, the opponents of oleo did not concede gracefully. A few weeks before the final vote on legalization, state inspectors engaged in a final crackdown on illicit margarine. Among the unlucky was the owner of a Scandinavian restaurant in Minneapolis who was caught serving lutefisk with an illegal mixture of melted yellow oleo and butter.
 Dry frosting mixes were very popular with the Coconut Pecan cake frosting being one I used. Coconut, pecans and I would guess it was powdered sugar were all in the envelope and you added water and frosted the cake. Great when you didn’t want to buy pecans and a large bag of coconut. The famous Tunnel of Fudge cake was made with a frosting mix used in the center of the cake. The cake was popular until Pillsbury discontinued the crucial ingredient to the cake’s success, Double Dutch Frosting Mix, sometime in the 70s or 80s. Angry fans of the cake deluged the company with complaints, prompting Pillsbury to adapt the recipe, replacing the frosting mix with cocoa powder and confectioners’ sugar. 

 Two of the mixes both Sue and I used are still on the market today though changed some from the originals. Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, and Chef Boyardee Pizza mix. The Mac and Cheese came in a dark blue box and had orange cheese powder, the pizza mix was the first pizza I made and I used it for several years. Family and friends loved it and once again it came with everything in the box and you could add your own toppings. I think we mostly used Ground Beef and maybe some olives and canned mushrooms.

16 comments:

  1. I loved the Pizza Mix. I don't think it's quite the same as when I was a kid. Or maybe my taste has changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My whole Family loved the Pizza Mix, I think you are right they have changed the mix. Don't you hate when they decide to IMPROVE one of your favorite foods?

      Delete
  2. I remember my mom had made the tunnel cake with the chocolate inside, I liked that. Every once in a while I'll pick up the Chef Boy Pizza mix. It's quick and makes a pretty good pizza. Not sold everywhere though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't bought one in many years, guess I am going to have to try it again. They are still available here.

      Delete
  3. Omigosh! I remember each of these items in your post. You're right, the Betty Crocker Date Bar Mix was VERY good. Not so much the Pillsbury Pie Crust Sticks. I loved pie but didn't know how to make the crust so when first married I used them for my pies. My dear husband ate the pies for some time and then one day said, "Honey, until you have time to learn how to make pie crust, why don't we just skip the pies." 'Nuf said! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pie crust sticks were pretty bad. 👎🏼

      Delete
  4. I remember most of these-also the Betty Crocker chocolate fudge and lemon pudding-cake mixes. They had a gooey center that was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always wondered what happened to the Date Bar Mix I loved in the 60s!! Your post brought back many good memories. Thank you for the pleasant "trip down cooking memory lane". I worked for the MN County Extension Service in those days and it was a TREASURY of recipes supplied by BH&G, Quaker Oats, Betty Crocker, Kraft, Pillsbury, MN Turkey Industry, . . . wonderful days, wonderful memories!! - Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought this post was very interesting. I looked around the internet to find out more about coloring margarine and the tunnel of fudge cake. It's not clear to me why the cake creates a fudge tunnel. Everyone says the nuts are the key? I also remember the pizza kits but they aren't on the shelves locally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure why it did either but it was a good cake.

      Delete
  7. Oh, the memories. Thank you so much for the thoughts of long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and I may be the only people in the United States who still like good old Kraft Dinner (the cheesiest) flavored one. I add extra real sharp cheddar cheese to it. It reminds me of being a kid in the 1960's again). Mom always made it as a side dish with pork chops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we can still buy it here and I used to serve it to my kids, they liked hot dogs with it. LOL

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.