Small Recipes...Sausage Cornbread Casserole


One of the waitresses at our coffeetime restaurant says this is her family’s favorite way to have cornbread so when I saw this small recipe in the cookbook Better Homes and Gardens Meals for One or Two I thought we’d give it a try for a Saturday brunch. 
I have to say, creamed corn isn’t what it used to be…it’s now so watery with very little corn no matter what brand I try and the can’s contents are ½ ounce less than when this book was published. 
We found that we didn’t like the cheese topping, so today I made it plain and we liked it better.  I also used self-rising flour this time and left out the baking powder and salt; it was perfect and a little faster to make.  I like to keep my self-rising flour turned over so I use it when I can.
I used small Amylu maple-flavored chicken sausage links on top.   I baked it in 10 ounce Corningware casserole dishes I use often.
We served it with 3 Bean Salad and canned peaches; a nice lunch.                   

                       Sausage Cornbread Casserole
     1/4    cup  flour, all-purpose
     1/4    cup  yellow cornmeal
  1           teaspoon  sugar
     1/2    teaspoon  baking powder
     1/4    teaspoon  salt
  8 3/4    ounces  creamed corn
  1           large  egg -- slightly beaten
  1            tablespoon  milk
     1/4     cup  Swiss cheese – shredded (optional)
  4            sausage links- cut in half or 6 small links
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Combine corn, beaten egg and milk.  Stir into dry ingredients.  Turn into two well-greased 10 ounce casserole dishes.
Arrange half of sausage links on each casserole.  Bake in preheated 350° oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
Sprinkle each casserole with half of the shredded cheese if desired.  Return to the oven and bake about 5 minutes longer, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. This looks good! Will try it. Cooking for one. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of that recipe. Looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.