Saturday Thoughts...Small Appliances We Don't Have Anymore



Myrna and I were still talking about electric kitchen gadgets and machines we used to have that we don’t anymore.
Do you remember these stylish electric coffee percolators?  The Sunbeam Coffeemaster vacuum pot?   
Those polypropylene ones?  In those 60's and 70's colors?
Electric percolators were popular from the 30's to the 70's when Mr. Coffee came out with the first successful electric drip coffee maker in 1972.  I was a quick convert, as our Norwegian father insisted that drip coffee was the only kind worth drinking, and we used a pour-over style drip pot for years.
Before that I actually had one of the poly coffee pots in avocado green- my sister-in-law Bonnie said she had a yellow one; they stained terribly, and didn't last long.  Myrna had some of the Corning Ware coffee pots.
Our parents and grandparents never had electric coffee pots, and in fact, I never had one until I married.  But they never missed coffee time at 9 am and 3pm.
I first bought a blender when we lived in Germany, from the PX, that we used for drinks for our card parties.  In 1933 the Waring blender was created. Fred Waring had a band, Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians, and he financed the blender and advertised it while on the road with his band.  Other popular brands were Hamilton Beach and Osterizer.  I couldn’t afford a Waring blender and had an Osterizer for several years.  After food processors came out and were widely available, the blender had to go.  It really only worked well for drinks; to chop vegetables, for instance, you had to use water and then drain them, not necessary in a food processor.  I could do so much more with a food processor it wasn’t a hard choice.
The one-stop machine for baking bread was first introduced in Japan, in 1986, by Matsushita Electric, now Panasonic. The machine's popularity spread, making its way into American kitchens throughout the '90s.  As a bread maker, I finally bought an expensive Zojirushi, because King Arthur was touting them.  It did a good job of making dough, baked bread not so much, and I found that my Kitchenaid made good dough much faster and did a lot of other things well too and I simply didn’t have the room for both.  Myrna had a bread machine that she used much more than I did, but that finally went by the wayside too.
It’s interesting how I have gone back to more manual things in the kitchen, not deliberately, but because they don’t take much room and are easy to use…like a hand can opener and manual coffee grinder and an egg beater for instance.

9 comments:

  1. We still use a blender, but mostly for drinks. We also have a bread machine which my husband still uses. It's another one of my husband's kitchen toys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have kept my bread machine if my husband would have used it!

      Delete
  2. I have a couple of different blenders. A dash and a ninja. A bread maker too. Still have a lot of other gadgets. We have a huge kitchen and a separate pantry. So for now, I'll keep all my toys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if I had a huge kitchen and a pantry I would have kept more of mine. Kitchen toys are so much fun.

      Delete
  3. Oh my ... I did have that Corning, white with the blue design, coffee pot and used it for years until I went for Mr. Coffee and have had some brand of coffeemaker ever since! I have a blender, food processor, and a bread machine and the coffeemaker is the only one used every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We received one of the Fiesta Red poly coffee pots as a wedding gift. The coffee always tasted faintly like plastic. We didn't use it much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of these items sure do bring back memories.
    My mom had the smallest of corning ware pots that she used to make tea.
    Me, I still have a bread machine but I no longer use it. Hand mixer; still have my Sunbeam green mixer that was a bridal shower gift over 50 years ago.
    I have 2 electric coffee percolators that I still use from time to time and I also have a coffee pot that is used on the stove burner to make coffee of which we used to use when we went camping when our daughters where young. Makes the best coffee on the camping stove or on an open fire.
    Now, just don't get me started on my collection of Vintage Kitchen Utensils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have a large kitchen to be able to keep all of this, Lucky you. My Mother-in-Law had a coffee pot that she used for making coffee on a camp stove or open fire. She didn't do camping but really liked all day picnics.

      Delete
  6. We got a bread machine for a wedding gift. All of the recipes with the machine (a Breadman) were absolute flops--I just couldn't get a decent loaf for all my efforts. So I stuck it in a box and taped it up and tossed it in the basement. After 26 years and one move, I rediscovered the machine. This time I searched the web and found recipes that actually work. So now our bread machine has a spot on the counter and I have a half-dozen sure-fire recipes that never fail. It's now a joy to use. I still bake bread by hand, but it's nice to throw the ingredients in the bucket, push start, and have fresh bread 2.3 hours later without any further work.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.