Saturday Thoughts...Small Appliances We Don't Have Anymore

Mine didn't say Joe Namath but worked well
 More small appliances I have owned and no longer have the one I used the most was my deep fryers. The first one I owned was round, thick walled and you could set the temperature on it. It could also be used as a all purpose cooker and I did use it at times to make chili, soup and for things like little smokies in sauce (grape jelly added).
 Than I had a Fry Daddy and a Fry Baby neither of which had a thermometer  but used less oil and took up less space. They worked quite well but were only used to deep fry. Now I buy frozen or make from a raw potato and bake.
 I went through many electric knives. They were great for slicing bread and cutting up roasted chicken and turkey. It has just been the last few years I haven’t had one.
 Popcorn poppers were plentiful as we were all popcorn eaters, as I was growing up. Dad popped corn often and so did I. 
 Mostly I used the bottom of my first pressure cooker as it was heavy and thick walled and popped it on my stove top. At college I used the type that you lifted up the popper part and there was an electric burner in the base. It could, and often was, be used to heat a can of soup, canned chili when the kitchens were closed. 
 Air poppers were popular but I never owned one as I always put butter on mine anyway. 
I had 2 different Stir Crazy poppers which have come and gone and now days I use a Microwave popper and it works well. You can, and I have, pop popcorn in a paper lunch bag if you just want a small amount than just throw the bag away when you are done. I don’t buy the prepackaged microwave popcorn as I think it has an aftertaste. 
Popped popcorn freezes well. Reheat, crisp in the oven and melt some butter at the same time and it tastes like fresh popped. I use my Breville oven for this. Toaster ovens of any brand should work.

5 comments:

  1. We use our electric knife to filet fish.
    I have a hot air popper that I use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not used the hot air popper myself but know some who have. Sure didn't think about using an electric knife to filet fish.

      Delete
    2. I haven't been able to find an electric knife I like to replace my old one that finally wore out. They don't make stuff like they used to.

      Delete
  2. great tip on freezing popcorn, I often make too much.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.