Small Recipes...Sour Cream Cake – 1 or 2 tiny loaves

Note that the bowl is the smallest of the Pyrex sets!  

This is a nice little cake recipe that originally made one tiny 3 ½ x 2 ½ x 6” loaf pan.   After making it, I decided I didn’t want to mess with a half egg white and the next time I doubled the recipe and baked it in 2 pans; as I actually have 6 of them. 
Making this was hilarious…I don’t have a hand-held electric mixer, only a big stand mixer, so I creamed my butter and sugar with my OXO hand egg beater, which actually worked perfectly.  Shows you how spoiled we are with all our electric gadgets.
 We liked the cake just plain, but you can glaze or frost it as desired.  I froze the extra little cake to use for guests or coffee times later.  Pound cake-like cakes like this one freeze especially well.                 

                     Sour Cream Cake – 1 or 2 tiny loaves
1 Loaf Pan
     1/2      cup  cake flour -- 4 ounces
     1/8      teaspoon  baking soda
     1/4      cup  butter -- (about 60-65°)
     1/4      cup  sugar
  1             tablespoon  egg white - slightly beaten
     1/4      cup  sour cream
     1/4      teaspoon  vanilla extract -- or to taste
2 Loaf Pans                                      
  1             cup  cake flour -- 8 oz
     1/4      teaspoon  baking soda
     1/2      cup  butter -- softened
     1/2      cup  sugar 
  2             tablespoons  egg white - slightly beaten
     1/2      cup  sour cream
     1/2      teaspoon  vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325°.  If using toaster oven, heat to 300° on "bake". 
Sift flour and baking soda together.  Cream the butter and sugar, then add the egg white and sour cream.
Mix in the flour and stir well (don't overmix).  Add the vanilla and stir.
Pour into one or two greased 3 ½  x 2 ½  x 6" loaf pans depending on choice of recipe.  Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or 45 minutes at the lower temperature in toaster oven.  (200° to 205°

Serve plain or frost as desired.
  "Single Servings"

2 comments:

  1. Perfect. I was hunting for a small cake recipe on Friday.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks divine.
    I'm well blessed with many mini loaf pans so I can make several and share with family members along with our new neighbors.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.