Small Recipes...Split Pea Soup


We like split pea soup.  If I want to just make two bowls to warm us up on a cooler day like we're supposed to have this week, this is a good recipe.  If you have it, like I did, add a few ham scraps to the soup.  I make it on Saturdays occasionally, when I am working around the house and can let lunch cook awhile.  We enjoyed our soup with egg salad sandwiches on homemade wheat bread.
The recipe is from the Mille Crawford Bell cookbook Single Servings.   The beautiful dried peas are purchased in bulk at the nearest Amish store, The Dutchman’s in Cantril, Iowa.                 
                              Split Pea Soup
  1             Cup  split peas
  1             quart  water
  1             tablespoon  chopped onions – or ½ teaspoon onion powder
     1/2      teaspoon  garlic powder
  4-5         baby carrots – sliced 1/2" thick (optional)
     1/2      teaspoon  beef or ham base or bouillon
                 pinch  cayenne
Place all ingredients in a 2 quart sauce pan and mix well.
Cook, uncovered, over medium heat at a slow boil until soup thickens and peas are tender, about 45 minutes.
Use a wooden spoon to mash the peas some, as desired.
Makes 2 bowls of soup.  Leftovers can be frozen, and reheated with a tablespoon or two of water.


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this recipe. I was thinking of making this soup today and now I have a small recipe~

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's something I've never tried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sue soon as our heat wave is over, I’m making this soup, simple is always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word! I don't make pea soup because it makes too much for just me. It never occurred to me to reduce the amounts! Thank you so much for this recipe, I LOVE pea soup and haven't had it in YEARS! Putting peas on my shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to soak the peas overnight: it makes them easier to cook and more digestible, it seems to me.
    Very tasty and nourishing soup!
    [Valerie]

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my favorite split pea soup recipe. I also use it for lentil soup. - Briana from Texas

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.