Corn Starch...Lemon Pudding



The Spruce Eats, a web site I look at almost every day had this recipe for Lemon pudding that uses cornstarch and fresh lemons so it is also Gluten Free. It looked so good, and I really like lemon so tried it. Well I have made it twice now and it has become my favorite lemon pudding recipe. 
 It is tart and lemony so if you would rather have something less tart omit the lemon peel. I thought it was just right and with some whipped cream on top perfect. 
 When you are cooking for just one this does make a larger amount but it kept well and I ate them one a day till they were gone. The last one started to weep a little but I just stirred it and it was just fine. You can of course cut the amount in half but I didn’t want to fuss with the egg amount. Or you could just eat two a day and have a good excuse for doing so.
Lemon Pudding
Time: 30 mins
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook 15 minutes
Yield: 6 cups
Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 1/2 cups milk (whole)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/2 cup lemon juice (fresh)
1 tablespoon butter

Steps to Make It
  In a medium saucepan, whisk the sugar and cornstarch together.
Whisk in milk till well blended.
  In a small bowl, whisk the egg and second egg yolk till slightly beaten and then whisk egg into the milk mixture in pan.
  Over medium heat, cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
  Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, butter. Pour into serving sized dishes and cool before eating. Refrigerate any leftovers. Garnish with fruit, lemon rind or whipped cream.

6 comments:

  1. I'mm going to make this for my son for his birthday on Sunday. He loves lemon and he loves puddings. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Myrna; it was a nice day. Amazingly, it was warm enough here (SD) to eat his birthday meal on the porch. I made your lemon ginger cake for our meal and sent the birthday boy home with this pudding. The lemon flavor in this custard is delicious (I increased the amount of zest) and the texture was silky. Yummy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, so glad the "Birthday Boy" liked it. It has become one of my favorites. And really amazing you were able to be on your porch. We also had a few days of warm weather.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.