Saturday Thoughts...Tomato Paste in a Tube


Another product that I use (to not necessarily save money but to eliminate waste) is Tomato Paste in a tube.  When I want to add a little tomato paste to any tomato dish or soups, etc., I can never use even a half of a small can.  My actual favorite use for tomato paste is to add a small squirt of it to my beef gravy or broths, for extra flavor. If you look at the ingredients in canned condensed beef broth and canned consommé, the consommé has tomato added, and we think it’s much better tasting!  I add tomato paste to my beef bones when I brown them to make home-canned broth too.
The tomato paste in the tube lasts a long time, and is very handy.  I always keep a tube in the refrigerator and an extra in the pantry.  The Cento brand is what's available in our markets.  Myrna uses it too, for the same reasons!  In our campaign to eliminate wasted food in our households, the ginger paste and tomato paste in tubes are a good investment for us.
I should point out the nice divided turntable I purchased at my local Walmart for our refrigerator to hold some of those tippy condiment bottles; I keep my tubes of ginger paste and tomato paste in a cup in the turntable.  Keeps my fridge easier to clean; the little jars don’t tip so they don’t spill.  Similar turntables are available online and in other stores where kitchenwares are sold.

2 comments:

  1. I use the tomato paste in a tube too. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two good ideas! I've never used a tube of tomato paste, but it sure would be handy as a little goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.