Gluten Free...Fall Harvest Cake


I am not sure why I hadn’t tried this cake recipe before but it is truly good. As most people who have to eat Gluten Free will tell you, the cakes and breads are seldom good and usually dry and crumbly or so dense they can be hard to cut.
 The authors of the cookbook Gluten Free Made Easy rave about the recipe and now I am going to also. Light, fluffy, great texture and good flavor. It is easy to make and I did make the whole recipe as I shared it with my daughter and her family and froze some individual slices for my self. What a pleasure to eat a cake that tastes like cake.
 Even if you don’t eat Gluten Free I think you would enjoy this cake just because it is good. Pumpkin is good for you and is low in Sodium and fat so you can say “but it is good for me” when you take that second piece.
Fall Harvest Cake
Ingredients
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon each ground nutmeg and ginger
1 15 ounce can of pumpkin
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (I used King Arthur GF all purpose flour)
1 large apple peeled and chopped
½ cup chopped pecans
Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour with GF flour a 10 inch fluted tube pan; set aside. In a large bowl mix the granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and ginger. Stir in the pumpkin, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Stir in the flour ½ cup at a time.* Fold in apple and pecans and pour into prepared pan.
 Bake for 60 to 70 minutes checking at 60 or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
 Serve with whipped cream or just dust with powdered sugar when cool or both which is what I did. Enjoy

*Be sure to add flour at end and stir in a small amount at a time, this is important when making GF cakes.

2 comments:

  1. I can see why this wasn't dry. Glad you found a good one to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we have quite a bit of snow now and I just might have to make this today. LOL

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.