Baking with Baking Soda...Real Orange Cookies


  This is a great recipe that uses baking soda as the leavening. The recipe called for coconut or pecans, I used half of each.  I thinned a couple spoonful’s of powdered sugar with a little of the orange juice for a thin glaze, and left off the sugar on top.   

We enjoyed the tropical taste of these cake-like cookies contributed by Mrs. Larry Baldwin, Jessup, Iowa in the "Iowa Power Holiday Recipes 1993"  I dropped part of the recipe on a large half sheet, covered them and froze them, then rolled the parchment up and stashed them in a gallon freezer bag, to bake fresh in my toaster oven when I want them.

Real Orange Cookies
  1        Cup  Butter -- (2 sticks)
  1 ½    Cups  Sugar -- 10 ½  oz.
  2        Large  Eggs
  3        Tablespoons  Orange Rind -- grated
     ½    Cup  Orange Juice -- from 2 large oranges
  3        Cups  Flour, All-purpose -- 13 ½  oz.
     ½    Teaspoon  Baking Soda
     ½    Teaspoon  Salt
  1        Cup  Coconut -- flaked (or Chopped Pecans) 4 oz.

Cream sugar and shortening gradually.  Beat in eggs, orange rind, and juice.  Sift together dry ingredients and blend into creamed mixture.
Add coconut or pecans.  Drop by teaspoonful’s (I used a size 100 scoop) onto greased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart (I used parchment).  Sprinkle with granulated sugar if desired. (I didn’t, because I glazed them).
(No baking time or temperature was given in the recipe) so  I baked them at 350° for 11-12 minutes.
Yield:  "8 Dozen"

1 comment:

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.