Saturday Thoughts...Book Clubs


 I am a reader and grew up in a family of readers and we always had books around and the town and school library to go to. 
 Do you remember the Book Clubs of the Fifties? Our Grandmother belonged to Book of The Month Club and I belonged to the Science Fiction Book Club and the Mystery Book Club
 In these days of the Pandemic our local Library has been closed and I got to thinking about the book clubs again. I was surprised that some of them are still going and active. I had gotten out of the habit of using them with the advent of Amazon Books (back when books was what they handled) and the ease of ordering books on line. 
 There was the Doubleday Book Club, the Literary Guild Book Club, the Dollar Book Club and The Readers Digest Condensed Book Club. 
 Sue and I remember a book club that I belonged to that had three books in one volume, one novel and two novelettes. For the life of me I can’t remember the name of it and it was one I usually took the books on offer. Maybe one of our readers can.
 This was a great way to read new authors, at least new to you, and find the latest book by one of your favorite authors. The only drawback was that you had to remember to cancel if you did not want the book that month. As I buy books, not ebooks, maybe I need to look into this again. Right now I have been buying from thrift books on line. Fairly inexpensive and a good way to buy older books and fill out collections you might have. 

6 comments:

  1. I use to belong to a couple a very long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this a fairly lot time ago also. Amazing to see some are still active

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad got the Reader's Digest Condensed Books. I always loved when he got a new book, so I could read it too. Sometimes we would talk about the books together. This post brought back some very happy memories for me. I am glad to know that there are some book clubs still around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always waited till Grandma was finished reading the Book of the Month book so I could read it. Getting books was a big part of our growing up years and still is in mine.

      Delete
  4. My husband's grandmother subscribed to a couple of book clubs for many years. She always inscribed the date she recieved them on the inside cover. Now, many of her grandchildren are enjoying her books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a nice thing for the Grandkids to have.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.