Saturday Thoughts...What I Could Buy with $6.00


My husband and I really enjoy the soft-serve homestyle medium ice cream cones at one of ice cream stands in our area.  Two cones cost us $6.  I won’t venture to guess how many calories because The Frosty Udder’s idea of a medium cone is probably most places' idea of at least a large cone.  The Udder usually has such long lines of cars and people at the walk-up window it should be called The Cash Cow.  

Some August 2021 Sale Items in Iowa Groceries

But it got me to thinking as I looked at the sale flyers for our two Iowa chain grocery stores and our favorite produce stand this week.
With that same $6, I could have bought any one of the following items:
Athena melons or seedless watermelon…9 pounds
“Natural” pork chops…3.35 pounds
Baked Beans…3 large 28 ounce cans
Fresh Nectarines, peaches or Stella Bella green grapes …3 pounds
Bananas…20 pounds!
Ground chuck…2 pounds
Sweet corn…12 ears
Locally grown tomatoes…2 pounds
Locally grown cucumbers…6 large ones
Fresh chicken thighs or drumsticks – 6 pounds
Large eggs...7 dozen!
Naturally, most folks wouldn't buy 7 dozen eggs at a time, for instance, but you can see what those cones are equivalent to.  
What I did buy...3# of chicken thighs, wrapped for the freezer in meal sizes, a dozen eggs, a cucumber, a 1 1/2 pound piece of watermelon and a pound of bananas for a total of $5.99.  There is no sales tax on grocery food purchases in Iowa.  Of course, I shop my pantry and freezer for staples and canned goods as well.
We might have one more cone apiece before the stand closes sometime in September.  We usually try to hit some of the neighboring communities' ice cream stands once every summer.

5 comments:

  1. We don't use that many eggs. Actually our 7 hens produce a lot more than we can use. I put most of them out on the side of the hay field and we have fox and other critters on the game cam coming to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those stands sound super fun. We don't have them around here. I did take three very sweaty teenagers out for ice cream yesterday, after the last day of a 30 hour soccer camp. They were hot & exhausted & were so happy to get the ice cream. It cost $13 for three - two double scoops, one single scoop. I actually thought that was pretty reasonable, but I don't buy ice cream regularly. I certainly could have purchased a few half gallons for that price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing considering what I pay for the same stuff here in SoCal....😢🤤
    MaryO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting comparison! I must admit, however, that the photo of the ice cream makes me hungry! A fun post - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mom and Dad love that type of ice cream too. Your sale prices are really good. Especially on the cantaloupes. We got a good deal on eggs this weekend too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.