$avings $aturday..Week 2 October Using my One "Hot Deal"

This week I purchased a can of black beans on sale…I didn’t have any home canned on hand and I wanted to make corn relish to use some frozen corn, onion, and red and green peppers I put in the freezer a while ago and would rather have canned on the shelf.  I also purchased fresh milk, as I like to keep my dry milk for baking and emergencies as long as I can get fresh.  I started the month with 2 dozen eggs, so I'm still good.

Everything on the menu the rest of the week is from my pantry and freezer…I usually keep at least a year of basics on hand; and during the pandemic that amount has crept up.  I’m not sorry now that prices appear to be rising.

This corn relish is an easy recipe to can…you can use fresh or frozen vegetables and they are water-bath canned because they use vinegar to make them higher acid.  Luckily I have plenty of canning lids on hand…that I purchased in bulk tubes last year before the price skyrocketed.  We like the relish as a side dish with soup or sandwiches, and half pints are the right amount for 2.

Sue's Easy Corn Relish


I'll probably use the remaining black beans in this recipe for Mexican Rice that I cook in bulk and freeze in meal-size portions for busy days.




4 comments:

  1. Saving money is always a big plus.
    The recipes look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Up until recently, I've never used any beans other than dried ones I cooked myself since I think they have more flavor than canned. But recently I've stocked up on some commercially canned beans because what if there comes the day when I want/need to conserve on cooking fuel? We all know cooking dried beans can take hours so . . . better safe than sorry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually can my own beans...easy canning! But if you can't find lids or they are now way too expensive, a few commercially canned beans on sale may make sense. I had a commenter ask why can beans when you can store them dried...you have the answer...you may also need to conserve water as well as cooking fuel and canned beans are time-saving at meal preparation time too.
      Home Canning Black Beans

      Delete
  3. I always liked using Mrs. Grimes chili beans when I made chili but since we moved out of Iowa I miss not using them, so now I use Bush's Chili Beans in place of which are Almost like Mrs. Grimes.
    Our favorite: Sue Bee honey we also enjoyed but can't buy it down here in Texas either. :{
    Your corn relish looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.