Small Recipe with Biscuit Mix...Chocolate Pudding Cake Cups for 2

Clockwise, top right:  Cooling, cake ingredients, ready for oven, ready to serve       

When a recipe is in two Taste of Home cookbooks, it’s usually pretty good.  This one was published in "Taste of Home the Best of Country Cooking 2000” and “Taste of Home Cooking For One or Two published in 2003".
I was interested in it because I thought I could use my Homemade Biscuit Mix in it.  These were simple to mix up with pantry ingredients I always keep on hand; another plus. My husband isn’t a real chocolate fan but he thought this dessert was “just pretty good”…he asked what I used for the chocolate flavor because he especially liked it.  I baked these in some 10 ounce ramekins in my toaster oven, and let them cool about an hour before we ate them.    The sauce was still thin, but we dipped our spoonful’s of cake in it to soak it up.  
I consider this another “win”, easy to make, just enough for two with no leftovers, with ingredients I always have on hand.
            Chocolate Pudding Cake Cups for 2
  2 1/2 ounces  Homemade Biscuit Mix or Bisquick -- 1/2 cup
  2        tablespoons  sugar
  2        teaspoons  cocoa powder
  3        tablespoons  milk
     1/2 teaspoon  vanilla extract
                        TOPPING:
  3        tablespoons  brown sugar
  1        tablespoon  cocoa powder
     1/2 cup  boiling water
            Ice cream or whipped cream -- optional
In a small bowl, combine the baking mix, sugar and cocoa. Stir in milk and vanilla. Spoon into two greased 8- or 10-oz. custard cups.
For topping, combine the brown sugar and cocoa in a bowl. Stir in boiling water. Pour over batter. Bake at 350° (325° in a toaster oven) for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake layer comes out clean. Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
Yield:  Makes 2"

Martha White Biscuit Mix
                        1 QUART MIX
  1           pound self-rising flour -- sift first (4 cups)
  4          ounces  lard or shortening -- 1/2 cup
Cut shortening into flour with pastry blender or food processor until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature (If using shortening).  Refrigerate if using lard.
Mix will keep well up to 4 months on the shelf if using shortening or in the refrigerator if using lard. 
Recipe weighs 20 ounces; 1 cup recipe weighs 5 ounces.                                
                   

2 comments:

  1. I love small dessert recipes. Save's me a lot of calories I don't need, but you get a sweet for that special meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this! I like recipes that use cocoa powder as they are less sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.