1/2 Cup Butter -- 1 stick
1 Cup Sugar -- 7 ounces
2 Cups Brown Sugar -- 1 pound
2 Large Eggs
1/2 Cup Water
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2 Cups Flour, All-purpose -- 10 ounces
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
6 Cups Oats -- 18 ounces
1 -2 Cups Chocolate Chips -- or raisins
• Cream together shortening, butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, water and vanilla extract until light.
• Mix together the flour, soda and salt. Beat into creamed mixture.
• Stir oats in by hand or with a large mixer.
• Stir in chocolate chips or raisins.
• Drop on ungreased cookie sheet. (I use a size 60 scoop.) Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. Let them rest on the sheet a minute or two before cooling on a rack.
This recipe is a good one to freeze. I drop them close together on waxed paper on a half sheet pan and freeze them till they are solid. Then I roll up the wax paper, cookies and all, and put it in a freezer bag. Mark the bag with baking time and temp. I bake them right from the freezer, usually for 15 minutes.
Yield: "5 Dozen"