Chicken Stew with Dumplings

I haven’t made dumplings for many years, so when I saw this recipe in the Land O Lakes Cookbook I had to try it. I must say I am glad I did. It was quite easy to make. I did use canned chicken meat as I had it on hand and used canned chicken broth and about 1/4 water for all water. As I wasn’t going to cook the chicken in the water for a hour, I wouldn’t have the broth to use. It came out just right on the amounts which is always a plus in my book. 
Next time, I will try the dumplings with beef stew instead of chicken, as we like it better than chicken and I make it more often. Just be sure you have plenty of liquid as the dumplings use up quite a lot of the cooking liquid.
 I used my cookie scoop to drop the dumplings - it holds about a rounded tablespoon and worked great.

Chicken Stew With Dumplings 
STEW
2 1/2 to 3 lbs. chicken thighs
5 cups water
4 new red potatoes, cut into sixths.
3 carrots cut into quarters
2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4”
1 Medium onion cut into eights
10 oz package frozen peas
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of pepper
DUMPLINGS
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tablespoons butter
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup chopped parsley
In Dutch oven, place chicken. cover with water. Cover pan and cook over med. heat until fork tender (50 to 60 minutes)
Remove chicken from broth, skim fat; return chicken to broth. Add remaining stew ingredients. Cover and cook over med. heat until vegetables are fork tender (15 to 20 minutes). In large bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk and parsley. Drop dumplings by rounded tablespoons into hot stew. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cover and continue cooking until dumplings are tender (8 to 10 minutes).

3 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like the perfect pan for this - a glass lid is just the thing for dumplings - otherwise it's hard not to peek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken and dumplings...the ultimate comfort food!

    I like your idea about the glass lid, Sue; I am an unrepentant "peeker" when I cook; not always a good idea, as I've learned the hard way.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.