Glazed Carrot Cake Wedges


Today was the day so use some more of the lovely farm eggs I have. I had been wanting to try this carrot cake from the Land O Lakes cookbook so made it first. It is a one layer cake, one of the reasons I had wanted to try it. Also, I had carrots on hand so didn’t have to go shopping.
I grated the carrots in my food processor. Saves on the knuckles. We all thought the cake was good. Not a real light and fluffy cake, it is dense and moist. Since I sent it down to the office I will never know how it keeps. The cake went together fast and I will make again.
Glazed Carrot Cake Wedges
CAKE
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup vegetable oil
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups finely shredded carrots
1 cup flaked coconut
GLAZE
1 cup powdered sugar
3 ounce cream cheese softened
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 tablespoon orange juice (I didn’t use the juice as it was the texture I wanted without the juice)
Heat oven to 350°  (180° C)
In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir in oil, eggs and vanilla until well mixed (I used my mixer on low speed). Stir in carrots and coconut. Batter is thick. Spread into greased and floured 9” round cake pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Meanwhile, in small bowl combine all glaze ingredients. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often until smooth (1 minute). Pour over warm cake. Cut into wedges.
Land O Lakes Treasury of Country Recipes Page 444.

3 comments:

  1. Now this is a perfect recipe for me to make today. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that this is a small cake, it is only my husband and myself, so this is perfect! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an excellent cake and yes, the size is why I tried it the first time. The Land O Lake cookbooks are very good and I own several. Land O Lakes is bases in Minnesota where Sue and grew up and the products are sold here in Iowa and the MidWest. Highly recommend the cookbooks.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.