Escalloped Potatoes

Sue's Escalloped Potatoes from this recipe, with added scraps of ham
This is my favorite recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks,  Cooking From Quilt Country. Our mother, grandmother and aunt’s all made their scalloped potatoes this way. The nutmeg adds just the right flavor and they are so easy to make. 
Both Sue and I use this method and I claimed posting it as I am the OLDEST. That always worked when we were kids anyway. 
We both hope you will try them, so much better tasting and better for you than the boxed varieties. They are truly easy to make. I use russets as that is what I buy the majority of the time. Any potato will work though, just try to slice them fairly thin. 

Escalloped Potatoes
4 large potatoes
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
Salt and Pepper
Nutmeg
2 Tablespoons finely minced Parsley
¼ cup (½ stick) butter
1 ¼ cups milk
⅛ Teaspoon Paprika
  Preheat oven to 325°F, Peel the potatoes and slice (there will be about 4 cups). Oil a rectangular baking dish. The one I use is 11 X 8 X 3 inches and arrange some of the potato slices on the bottom. Sprinkle very lightly with a bit of the flour. Add salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg to taste, then sprinkle on some of the parsley. (This can be omitted). Repeat making 2 to 3 layers.
  Mean while heat the butter and milk together in a small saucepan over low heat. Pour over the potatoes. Sprinkle with the paprika. Bake covered for 1 ½ hours, or until a nice golden brown crust forms on top and the potatoes are tender.
**I usually add a little chopped onion to my layers.  Sue
Cooking From Quilt Country  Page 90

1 comment:

  1. This is THE way to make wonderful scalloped potatoes with a lot less work! No white sauce to mess with. It's one of our family's most favorite recipes. I often add some ham scraps and make this the main dish.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.