Chicken Fricassee

This is a dish that was often served in the forties and early fifties. I remember eating it as a child and a teenager. We often had it on baking powder biscuits. I served it on mashed potatoes tonight. The leftover chicken I will cut up into the sauce and serve over rice for another meal. We all agreed that the chicken was very moist and tender, though the skin of course does not stay crisp. 
I never buy boneless skinless chicken as I think you lose the flavor without the bones. Also it is quite a bit cheaper. If I really want it skinless, I can take the skin off my self. Hope you try this, good for a cold winter night. I think it would work well in a crock pot, but as I don’t own one, I can’t try it.
Chicken Fricassee
1 3 to 4 pound fryer chicken
½ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup shortening
½ cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped onion
1 10 ½ ounce Cream of Mushroom soup
2 Tablespoons chopped canned pimiento
¾ cup water
Coat chicken with mixture of ½ cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper.
Brown in hot shortening in skillet. Remove to 3 quart casserole. Cook celery and onion in skillet until soft but not brown. Pour off excess shortening and stir in pimiento, soup and ¾ cup water. Pour over chicken and bake for one hour at 350° or until tender.
Recommended to serve with rice.
Better Homes and Gardens Golden Treasury of Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.