English Toffee Ice Cream with or without an ice cream maker

This recipe from the "Golden Treasury” is to die for.  Smooth, rich, not too sweet, easy to make.  I’ve never purchased any gourmet ice cream even half as good.  
The method is one that Cook’s Illustrated just recently recommended for making ice cream without an ice cream maker.  This amount of toffee bars is great, but half the amount would still be delicious and less caloric and expensive. 
My husband likes this even better with 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup whole milk; it's a little less rich but still excellent.
                         English Toffee Ice Cream
  4           each  Heath Bars -- 1 1/8 oz
  14         ounces  sweetened condensed milk
     1/2     cup  strong coffee -- cooled or 1/2 cup water and 1 tsp. instant coffee
  2           cups  heavy cream (or 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup whole milk)
  1 1/2     teaspoons  vanilla extract
  1. Crush toffee bars between 2 pieces waxed paper with a rolling pin; set aside.
  2. Combine condensed milk, coffee, heavy cream, and vanilla.  Chill thoroughly.
  3. Whip the mixture to a custardlike consistancy.  Fold in crushed toffee bars. Spoon into three 3-cup refrigerator trays or a 9x13" metal pan.  Cover.  Freeze firm.
  4. Or process in your ice cream freezer, adding the toffee bars at the end.  Freeze until firm.
Yield:  "1 quart” or 8 servings.
Per Serving: 367 Calories; 26g Fat (63.5% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 98mg Cholesterol; 85mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 1/2 Fat; 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my...

    I had insomnia before I got here, and now I have a craving for ice cream.

    If I ever make it to bed, I know what I'll be dreaming about; if I had all the ingredients, I wouldn't have to just dream about it.

    *sighs mightily*

    Thank you for another wonderful recipe, Sue. A question, though: Steve and I can't drink coffee...could I substitute solids and liquids equivalent to the coffee, say, dark brown sugar and water?
    My thinking the ice cream itself wouldn't taste so much like toffee as it might pralines.

    Your thoughts?

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marge,
    I would just use the water and leave out the coffee - it's sweet enough...I wouldn't add any sugar.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.