Lemon Barbecue Meatloaf

On a cold blustery day meat loaf really hits the spot. One of those comfort foods from our childhood. I often use this recipe as we like the lemon in it. Here is where I use the lemon juice I have in the freezer in the meatloaf and then slice one lemon for the top of the loaves. Be sure to remove seeds from lemon slice. I will serve this with baked potatoes and a vegetable. By doing this in individual loaves it bakes faster and you do not have to slice it. Everyone gets their own serving. It is moist so shape your loaves firmly.

Lemon Barbecue Meatloaf
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Ready In: 55 Minutes
Yields: 6 servings
The lemon on top makes a nice presentation.
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1 egg, beaten
4 slices day-old bread, torn into small pieces
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons seasoning salt

1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 dash ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
6 slices lemon
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish or a dish of similar size.
In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, lemon juice, water, egg, bread, onion and seasoning salt until well blended. Shape into 6 individual loaves. Place them in the prepared baking dish.
Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven while you prepare the topping. 
In a small bowl, stir together the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard powder, allspice and cloves. Spoon the sauce over the loaves, then top each one with a slice of lemon. Return to the oven, and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until cooked through.
Southern Living Our Best Recipes  

4 comments:

  1. This sounds just wonderful!! Just me here, but I have a very nice freezer. I am so excited to try this!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It freezes well. I still make it now that there is just me here also and freeze the extra. I use Gluten Free bread slices to keep it so I can eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't this recipe from 1980 Good housekeeping cook book ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myrna and I were doing recipes from the Southern Living cookbook at the time...I don't have either cookbook; they were hers. However, the recipe is a good one.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.