Gluten Free Apple Crisp

  For the last recipe I tried from the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Web Site, I made Apple Crisp. It uses a gluten free Betty Crocker cake mix.
  Everyone thought it was quite good, I thought it was a little dry. I am not sure just what I would do different next time, but I think there is too much topping and not enough apples. That said, I served it with some of our home made ice cream and that really helped. I think light cream or whole milk poured on would be good also.
  It has been interesting trying these recipes. On the whole, we thought the Bisquick was best used as a breading ingredient and that is what I will use it for most of the time. The shortcake was good and I really have missed having a warm biscuit to make shortcake with. I hope some of you will look at the web site and try some of the recipes.
  I do find that it is easier to just not eat things with grains in them. I really am too tight to spend the kind of money most gluten free items cost. If any one of our readers can recommend a good bread, I would be willing to try that. I haven't found any that I thought were good.
  I am so grateful that more of the main brand manufacturers are adding gluten free items to their regular line and that they are not much or any higher in price. 
  Here is the recipe for the Apple Crisp. I didn’t try the cake mix as a cake, but the web site had several good looking recipes for cake or cupcakes and if you need a birthday cake, that would be the way to go.
  Gluten Free Apple Crisp
6 large tart cooking apples thinly sliced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
  Topping
1 box Betty Crocker gluten free yellow cake mix
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup chopped nuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg beaten
 Heat oven to 350°F. 
In large bowl, toss apples and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Spread apples evenly in ungreased 13 x 9 pan.
In large bowl, mix cake mix and nuts. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and the egg; mix well, Sprinkle evenly over apples and bake about 45 minutes or until topping is light brown. Serve warm with ice cream. 
Makes 12 servings
Always check your ingredients to make sure they are Gluten Free

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.