Buttermilk Pancakes

  I had some buttermilk to use up, some thick sliced bacon from the meat counter (not prepackaged)  at our local Fareway store so pancakes and bacon seemed like the ideal menu for supper tonight.
  My 1963 hardbound edition of The Good Housekeeping Cookbook has a few things to say about making pancakes before giving the recipe. 
YOUR PANCAKE GRIDDLE
  Nonstick griddles that help keep batter from sticking do not need to be greased. (I would wipe with a thin film of bacon fat for the flavor).  Use low to medium heat for all griddles. Heat griddle until drops of cold water dance in small beads on surface. Then pour on batter.
  The cookbook gives several recipes and various changes to each recipe. I used the buttermilk recipe as that was the purpose of making the pancakes.That said, I must confess that I did not beat the egg white separately but just beat the whole egg with a fork and added it to the flour. I do think they are lighter with the egg white beaten alone, I will leave it up to you.
  Buttermilk Pancakes
1 cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg, separated
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon melted butter or oil
Sift flour, soda, salt. In small bowl, with hand beater, beat egg white until it forms moist peaks; set aside. In medium bowl, using same beater (do not wash) beat egg yolk and buttermilk just until blended. Stir in flour mixture then melted butter, stir till smooth. Fold in egg white. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto hot griddle. Cook until cakes are puffy, full of bubbles  and edges are cooked. Turn; cook other side. Serve with butter and hot syrup or topping of our choice, I happen to like butter and sugar instead of syrup.
 I do not pour by the tablespoonful as this makes a dollar size, so I usually make them larger and it will make about six pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.