Spinach and Black Bean Lasagna


This is another recipe I have been making for a long time, and I don’t know where I got it.  I cooked for years without jotting down the source on my recipes…a mistake I have been trying to correct!
My husband really, really likes this, and so do I even though I’m not quite as much of a spinach fan.  I also like making it with “no-boil” lasagna noodles…I use Barilla, as their US mill is here in Ames, Iowa.                    
Spinach and Black Bean Lasagna
  15      ounces  Canned Black Beans -- drained
  12      fluid ounces  Spaghetti Sauce
     ½     cup  Cottage Cheese
  6         ounces  Frozen Spinach -- thawed and squeezed dry
  2         medium  Eggs -- beaten
  6         pieces  No-boil Lasagna Noodles -- Barilla
  4         ounces  Monterey Jack Cheese -- shredded
Barilla manufacturing facility in Ames, Iowa
Preheat oven to 375°.  Drain and mash beans.  Stir in pasta sauce, set aside.  Combine cottage cheese, spinach, 1/2 of Monterey Jack and eggs.  Spoon 1/3 of beans over bottom of 12 x 7" dish.  Arrange 2 noodles over top.  Spoon spinach mixture evenly over noodles and spread completely to edges.  Arrange 2 noodles over top.  Spread 1/2 of remaining bean mixture over.  Top with last noodles and then last of bean mixture.  Cover with foil.   Bake until mixture has filled the dish, 45-55 minutes; uncover and sprinkle remaining cheese on top, cover and let rest 5 minutes until cheese is melted and dish is set up.
4 Servings
Per Serving: 370 Calories; 17g Fat (41.3% calories from fat); 23g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 134mg Cholesterol; 1123mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat.

2 comments:

  1. I have been looking for more recipes using beans. This is one I've never heard of and I will try it - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy - this is easy and very tasty. Nutritious is a plus!
    It's a great way to use beans most folks will like.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.