Fig Bars


  My daughter found some dried figs and I just had to make these fig bars. I hadn’t realized they were that hard to find in this area. Our sister, Kay, had a fig tree in her yard in Houston, but sadly they won’t grow this far north.
  However, the dried figs work well and as we are all fans of Fig Newtons this recipe comes close. The bottom crust is similar to a shortbread crust and the top is a oatmeal, nut crust. They are easy to make, and always a good addition to a cookie tray or for a bake sale. Do cut them small as they are quite rich.
  I am not sure where I got this recipe, it is one I have had for quite awhile. I think it would work well with just about any dried fruit you would like to try.
Fig Bars
Crust
½ cup butter softened
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
Filling
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 cup boiling water 
9 ounces dried Mission figs, chopped
Topping
¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons cold butter (do not use margarine)
¼ cup quick cooking oats
¼ cup chopped nuts
  Heat oven to 350°. Spray 9” pan with cooking spray. In small bowl, beat the ½ cup of butter, ¼ cup granulated sugar and the vanilla with electric mixer until well blended. Beat in 1 cup flour until soft dough forms. Press dough in bottom of pan. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until center is set.
  Meanwhile, in 2 quart saucepan, cook filing ingredients over medium heat 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until figs are tender and most of liquid is absorbed. Spread over crust  In small bowl, mix ¼ cup flour, the brown sugar and 3 tablespoons cold butter, cutting in the butter until crumbly. Stir in oats and nuts. Sprinkle over filling and press lightly with your hands.
  Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are bubbly, and topping is light golden brown. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Cut into 4 rows by 4 rows.

2 comments:

  1. My grandpa loved Fig Newtons and I'm convinced that love skipped a generation (mine) and went straight to my daughter! I'll make these and see if she thinks they compare to Fig Newtons. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look heavenly! Thanks for sharing. I have to give these a try soon! Diane

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.