Green Tomato Salsa


  Green Tomatoes on your tomato plants yet? I have about 30 green tomatoes. 
I really didn’t want to lose the tomatoes and decided to make some green tomato salsa. 
  This is not out of any of the recipe books we are using as none of the recipes where quite what I wanted. I did not want to can it in case we didn’t like it. Just a recipe for some fresh salsa was what I needed.
  I used several recipes to come up with the recipe I ended up using. It is very good, not too hot and just what I was looking for. If you have some green tomatoes you might want to try this recipe.
Green Tomato Salsa
 5 medium green plum tomatoes 
 1 medium slightly red plum tomato
 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (more if you like it hotter)
 ¼ cup finely chopped onion 
 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
 2 tablespoons olive oil
 1 teaspoon coarse salt
 Freshly ground black pepper to taste
 Combine all ingredients and leave at room temperature for at least 2 hours to blend flavors before serving. Store any leftovers in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator. 


4 comments:

  1. Do you use this anytime you would a regular salsa or do you have something specific you'd use this for. Looks & sounds good & definitely something to keep in mind when there are green tomatoes in the fall! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use it like a regular Salsa. It does get eaten up with tortilla chips pretty fast so I don't usually have much leftover. It is good anyplace Salsa is used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reply! Good to know. We love both salsa & chips, but I also like salsa on my omelets & other things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want it hotter, just add more jalapenos. We don't eat it as spicy or hot anymore. It is good with eggs. We eat it with scrambled eggs and over a quiche.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.