Swedish Nut Cake


This cake had multiple contributors to Treasured Recipes – a sure sign of a winner.  I made this for Myrna’s daughter Amy (my niece) to take to her community pot luck on Friday night, and I wanted something most people would like. 
This cake is really simple to make.  Weigh the flour and sugar into a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients, and stir just enough to absorb the flour.  Some folks make this a "dump cake", and mix it right in the cake pan.  Use whatever nuts you like, pecans, walnuts or even black walnuts.  Toasting them makes them more flavorful.  Or use your home canned nuts...already toasted.  While your cake is baking, soften your butter and cream cheese and have your frosting ready.  I let my cake sit about 10 minutes before frosting.  I let it cool about an hour and then refrigerated until ready to serve.              
Swedish Nut Cake
  2          Cups  Flour, All-purpose (9 ounces)
  2          Cups  Sugar -- (14 ounces)
     ½      Cup  Pecans – chopped ( 2 ounces)
  2          Teaspoons  Baking Soda
  3          Large  Eggs -- beaten
  20        Ounces  Crushed Pineapple -- undrained
  2          Teaspoons  Vanilla Extract
                        Frosting
  1 ¾      Cups  Powdered Sugar (7 ounces)
  1          Stick  Butter 
  8          Ounces  Cream Cheese
  1          Teaspoon  Vanilla Extract
     ½      Cup  Pecans (2 ounces)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, 1/2 cup nuts and baking soda.  Add eggs, pineapple and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix  until smooth and pour into 9x13 inch baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 to 45 minutes. Spread icing on hot cake.
For the icing: In a large bowl, cream butter or margarine, cream cheese, 1 teaspoon vanilla and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Fold in 1/2 cup nuts.  Put frosting on cake while still warm.
Refrigerate until serving.
15 Servings
2013 Cost:  $6.62 or 45¢ per serving
  "Treasured Recipes"

7 comments:

  1. I have used so many of your recipes and intend to make this too but would prefer to make cupcakes. Would baking time be the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cupcakes bake in 1/3 to 1/2 less time than a cake. Try the same oven temperature but start checking them after 15 minutes. Cupcakes usually bake in 15-20 minutes. Check doneness by inserting a wooden toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. If the toothpick comes out with moist or wet crumbs on it, continue baking the cupcakes, checking doneness with a clean toothpick after a few minutes.
      Depending on your cupcake pans, it should make 24-30 cupcakes. Fill your cups about 2/3 - 3/4 full.
      Good luck...you will like this recipe.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to a cousin's birthday party on Sunday after church, and needed something to take... I just found it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic...the first walnuts in my area are starting to fall. I think as soon as I get enough gathered this is going on my dessert menu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been cleaning the pantry today and found that I bought walnuts three times - 3 3lb. bags were in there! So I am going to make your cake - it sounds easy and tasty - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you freeze this cake??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this kind of cake freezes very well. If you can, I would freeze it unfrosted and frost it when you use it. But if you just have a few pieces I would try freezing it frosted too...just don't thaw it very long before you serve it. I'm a believer that it pays to try freezing almost anything rather than throwing it away and I have been surprised at what actually freezes successfully!
      You might want to read this post: Freezing Basics

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.