Sloppy Joes Southern Style

Don't Sue's buns look nice?

  Sloppy Joe's come in many different versions. This version from the Southern Living Homestyle cookbook is different than any I had tried before. The addition of sweet pickle relish must, I think, be a southern thing. I would start out with 1 tablespoon of the 3 tablespoons of relish called for in the mixture and taste it, adding more as you go along if you want too. It has a distinctive taste of its own and you might want more or less of it according to your taste.
  I served this on Sue’s Whole Wheat Mustard Buns. Thanks Sis, that really set them off.
We had it with deviled eggs and nothing else. 
  Even filling the buns quite full there is no way this is only 5 servings as the recipe says. I had at least half of it left after 4 sandwiches. This is very easy to put together and would help fill up those teenage boys you are feeding.
Sloppy Joes
1 pound ground chuck
1 medium onion
½ cup ketchup or chili sauce
1 to 3 tablespoons  sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
5 to 8 hamburger buns
  Brown ground chuck and onion in large skillet, stirring to crumble meat. When brown, drain and add the next five ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon over bottom of buns and top with top half of bun.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I'd either skip the sweet relish or sub dill relish. Could you please share the recipe for the wheat/mustard buns? I mix the dough for my burger buns in my bread machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadine,
      Click on the bold words "Whole Wheat Mustard Buns" in the 2nd paragraph...it is a link to the recipe. I'm sure you would be happy mixing the dough in your bread machine. I now make them all the time, they are our favorite buns - I keep them in the freezer for quick sandwiches anytime.
      Sue

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Sue! I didn't realize there was a link! Will definitely have to try them! I started making our burger buns in about 2006. I got tired of the fact that any of the buns I bought would disintegrate once the condiments were added. Found a bread machine recipe so figured it was worth a try. Have rarely bought buns since; only when I need them b/4 I can mix up a batch. & they do freeze well. Trouble is a dozen doesn't seem to last very long & there's only 2 of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these buns! Froze them since I had other meals planned & was having dental surgery. They are good! Made crab patties & used some the other night. My husband likes how thick they are. I think they'd be good for egg salad or ham sandwiches! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I mixed them in my bread machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them Nadine...they are the favorites at our house.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.