Family Favorites...Green Bean Salad

My husband and I like almost any salad, and I like marinated vegetable salads I can make ahead.  The pretty colors and crisp, cold, tangy vegetables perk up any meal.   I had to try this little different bean salad from the  "Library of Family Favorites", contributed by Linda Gallagher.
Linda’s directions were sparse; I made this like I do Cucumber Salad, dissolving the sugar in the vinegar first.  This is a nice bean salad for those who don’t like kidney beans, and we liked the fresh vegetables that are added in – a good way to use garden bounty.  I used home-canned beans.  John could hardly wait to try it.
Green Bean Salad
  1         cup wax beans, canned or cooked
  1         cup  green beans, canned or cooked
  2         ounces pimientos, canned
  1         medium green peppers -- chopped
  3         stalks celery -- sliced
  1         medium cucumber - peeled and sliced
  1         teaspoon salt
     ½     teaspoon onion flakes
     ¼     cup tarragon vinegar
     ¼     cup white vinegar
             Sugar -- to taste (I used 1/2 cup)

Combine; cover and refrigerate overnight.
My directions: Use a 1 1/2-2 quart covered bowl or measuring bowl for vegetables.  Dissolve sugar in vinegar in microwave 1 1/2 minutes; stirring every 30 seconds.  Let cool.  Sprinkle salt over cucumber and peppers; let set an hour, drain.  Add remaining vegetables and dressing, refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight, stir once or twice.  Makes 8-10 servings or 1-1 1/2 quarts.
Serve in a nice chilled glass bowl or dish.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good!
    My favorite is tomatoes, green bell pepper, cucumber and lettuce. Yum!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, Great recipe.

    Thanks
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.