Oven Fried Chicken


Both Sue and I recommend the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbooks. They are good for the beginning cook and the experienced cook. The Cooking for Today Chicken Cookbook has a range of chicken recipes from simple to a little more complex. This recipe for Oven Fried Chicken caught my eye as it used cracker crumbs for the breading. I have breaded fried fish often with cracker crumbs but not chicken. 
 We all enjoyed it and it was simple to do and once it is in the oven you are free to do other things. This is well worth your time to try it.
Oven Fried Chicken
1 beaten egg
3 tablespoons milk
1 cup finely crushed saltine crackers (about 28)
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
½ teaspoon paprika
⅛ teaspoon pepper
2 ½ to 3 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breasts, thighs and drumsticks
2 tablespoons butter melted
 In a small bowl combine the egg and milk.  In a shallow dish combine the crackers, thyme, paprika and pepper. Set aside
 Skin chicken, Dip chicken pieces on at a time, in egg mixture, then roll in cracker crumbs mixture.
 In a greased 15x10x1 inch or 13x9x2 inch baking pan arrange chicken so the pieces don’t touch. Drizzle chicken pieces with the melted butter.
 Bake in a 375°F oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until the chicken pieces are tender and no longer pink. Do not turn the chicken pieces while baking. Makes 6 servings

Per Serving: 253 calories, 24 g. Protein, 10 g. Carbohydrate, 12 g. Fat, 296 mg. sodium

4 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, I love chicken and this is somewhat healthy, much healthier than I usually do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I guess you usually batter fry it? That sounds good also. This was good though I usually oven bake chicken because of the mess. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, you have shared a wonderful recipe. I first used saltines when Bobby was little (30some years ago). I was out of flour. I use it often for fried chicken now. Great frying or in the oven. Thanks Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Debbie, I make it often now also. Thanks for posting it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.