Buttermilk Rye Bread in a Food Processor

We’ve been trying out rye bread recipes, looking for that elusive “sandwich” style rye bread that would still have that deli rye texture and flavor.  This one adapted from the “Red Star Centennial Bread Sampler" from 1981 is just right.  The buttermilk gives it a little of that tang, the texture is firm and nice, and the caraway seeds and molasses give it an old-fashioned flavor. 
This is a sticky dough, don’t be tempted to add too much flour; after it rests, the lard makes it a very easy-to-handle dough. Here’s a food processor version of a very tasty rye bread loaf.  You can also make this loaf on the dough cycle of your bread machine and then shape into a loaf and bake in your oven.  
                  
                       Buttermilk Rye Bread 1 Loaf
  1         cup  Rye Flour -- 3 1/2 ounces
  1         cup  Whole Wheat Flour -- 4 ounces
  1 1/4   cups  Bread Flour -- 4 3/4 ounces
  1         package  instant yeast -- or rapid rise yeast
  1         tablespoon  wheat germ
     3/4   tablespoon  caraway seeds
  1 1/2   Teaspoons  salt
     3/4   cup  buttermilk
     1/4   cup  water
  2        Tablespoons +2 teaspoons  molasses  
  2        Tablespoons  lard (or butter or shortening)
In food processor work bowl, combine all rye flour, whole wheat flour, bread flour, yeast, wheat germ, caraway seed and salt; mix well.
Heat buttermilk, water, molasses and lard until warm (120-125°). Add to flour mixture through feed tube slowly so flour can absorb liquids and process until dough pulls away from sides of work bowl.  Knead 1 minute after mixture forms a ball.
Cover work bowl, let rest in a warm place 10 minutes.
Shape into a loaf for 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" or 10" x 4" pans. Place in greased pan, let rise in warm place until doubled, about 35 minutes.
Bake at 375°for 35-40 minutes until loaf read 200°-210° on an instant read thermometer. You may have to cover the loaf with foil or parchment paper the last 10 minutes to keep it from getting too brown on top.
Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.
Yield:  "1 loaf""

6 comments:

  1. This buttermilk rye bread is wonderful! I made it with my food processor, and sure it would have been better if I had not subbed milk/vinegar mix for the buttermilk and used an 8 1/2" pan, instead of a 9". But had to do with what I had. I also added some flax meal because I have a huge bag. I'd like to figure out how to convert for a larger pan, tho. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here are approximate ingredient sizes to make a 2# loaf.

      1 1/4 cups Rye Flour – 4 1/4 ounces
      1 1/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour -- 5 ounces
      1 1/2 cups Bread Flour – 5 ½-6 ounces
      1 1/4 packages instant yeast -- or rapid rise yeast
      1 1/4 tablespoons wheat germ
      7/8 tablespoon caraway seeds
      1 7/8 teaspoons salt
      7/8 cup buttermilk
      1/3 cup water
      3 1/4 tablespoons molasses
      2 1/2 tablespoons lard (or butter or shortening)

      You might try this...you may have to check your consistency...I have not made this size loaf. I would expect it would take longer to bake...I would check after 40-45 minutes with an instant-read thermometer...should be at least 200 - 210 degrees.
      Glad you liked this delicious bread as we did!

      Delete
  2. During this pandemic since the stores are crazy I decided to start making bread again. Who would have thought other people would to!?! I thought people hate cooking! Anyway, when I went to store still no flour but you guessed it. Rye flour was available. So, I found this recipe on Pinterest. OMG! I did not expect this to be my favorite bread I have ever made and I have made many. The flavor and texture is spot on. My only issue was how small the loaf was so would have to make often. Great recipe!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Glad you like this oldie but goodie...“Red Star Centennial Bread Sampler" from 1981 is one of my favorite bread cookbooks!

      Delete
  3. Greetings! How would I convert this recipe to mix in a 14 cup food processor? I haven't space (or need) of a stand mixer, and 6 cups of flour is a little much to try kneading. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This can be made in your 14 cup processor...that's what I have. You can also make the 2# loaf that I added to the comments in that size processor. The processing directions are the same. You don't have to knead it except to deflate the loaf and shape it for your pan.
      Some useful hints: Making bread in your food processor

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.