Franconia Potatoes

Who says economical and easy can’t be synonymous with attractive, tasty and special?  This recipe is from our Mom’s 1946 Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book.  Back then, most cooks had potatoes from their gardens, and dry bread they could make into crumbs in their kitchens. I whirled mine in my food processor and added a little Italian seasoning for interest.  You can certainly use purchased bread crumbs.  (I left a couple small bread heels out to dry overnight for this.)
I liked this recipe because it could bake while I browned the pork steak from my brother-in-law’s homestead hog in a small amount of bacon fat, and stir-fried some garden vegetables.  I like not having too many dishes needing last minute attention.  This is also great for oven meals – where you can bake the rest of your meal at 350° also.
I melted the butter right in my baking sheet, dipped the potatoes in the butter, then rolled in the bread crumbs on a paper plate, then placed back on the sheet.  Why waste another pan?
                            Franconia Potatoes
  16           Ounces  Potatoes -- peeled and quartered
     1/4      cup  Butter -- melted
     2/3      cup  Dry Bread Crumbs
Preheat oven to 350°.  Pare potatoes; cut in wedges.  Dip in butter.
Coat with dry bread crumbs and place on greased baking sheet.   Bake 20 minutes, turn and bake 10-15 minutes more, at 350°.
6 Servings
  Per Serving: 175 Calories; 8g Fat (42.6% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 21mg Cholesterol; 186mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Fat.

5 comments:

  1. These look awesome! I will have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I will up it a bit to the Italian side a little...& That's Mangia Mangia Mangia...with a smile.

      Delete
  2. Made these tonight along with homemade chicken salad sandwiches & homemade coleslaw. I used 1/3 c Panko & 1/3 c Kentucky Kernel seasoned flour to coat ours. There was butter left, so I drizzled it over the potatoes in the pan (lined with foil & sprayed w/Pam). They were a hit! I had made enough so hubby can have leftovers for his lunch at work tomorrow. :-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them...simple is often the best. You menu sounds delicious!

      Delete
  3. Simple is indeed best anymore, Sue! Merry Christmas to all of you!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.