Tamale and Chili Bake


Here’s a recipe to use up leftover chili and turn it into a different dish.  My husband was practically licking his plate; this is based on an old canned tamale label recipe that brings back memories of the 1950’s.  It’s not even a Tex-Mex recipe, but one that your mom may have served to the family on a week night back when. You can also substitute a 15 ounce can of chili for the homemade.
Canned tamales have been available since the early 1900’s; and became more popular when the Tex-Mex craze hit the country.   When I wanted to make this nowadays, I had to go to 3 different grocery stores before I found the canned tamales!                
                          Tamale and Chili Bake
  2-3       Cups  Chili, heated
  1          15 Oz Can  Tamales
  3          Tablespoons  Onion -- chopped
     1/4   Cup  Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Pour hot chili into a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Unwrap tamales and place on top of chili.  Pour some of the tamale sauce over them. 
Top with onion and cheese and bake at 350° until bubbling hot, about 30 minutes.
2-3 servings
Some choices for the homemade chili include these recipes:


2 comments:

  1. We ate canned tamales all the time as a youngster, my dad LOVED them. I will definitely put these on the menu, but my children will demand a bit more cheese! TYVM, this brought back good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to try this oldie again! I keep tamales in my pantry now.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.