Rhubarb Upside Down Cake


This is for a Upside down Cake. This was the first time I made it and while we all liked it, I had a problem getting the center baked through, Next time I will divide the batter between two 8 inch pans. I did add raspberries to the topping as I had some that needed to be used. I am not a fan of strawberries with Rhubarb so used the raspberries instead of the strawberry jello. I have eaten a similar recipe that uses a white cake mix, but this batter does not taste like white cake, more like a coffee cake type. Let the cake cool before inverting. It came out of the pan with no problem and held up fine, I think the filling would run if it is too warm. Served with whipped cream on top.
Upside Down Rhubarb Cake
Base:
4 cups rhubarb, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallow
1 cup sugar or 1 small pkg Strawberry Jello plus sugar to = 1 cup or
4 ounces of red raspberries (then do not use the jello)
Batter:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1tsp. vanilla
1 1/3 cup flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk

1-Spread first three ingredients in a well greased 9x13 pan.
2-Cream together butter and sugar* until well beaten and light
3- add egg, continue beating, add vanilla.
4-sift together dry ingredients, add alternately with milk.
5-spoon the batter over the rhubarb and spread gently to cover.
6-bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until brown
7- cool before turning upside down

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.