Poppy Seed Noodles n' Cream


 We like almost any noodle dish, and we liked this pretty, tasty side dish from Land O'Lakes Treasury of Country Recipes 1992.  I confess, yesterday was “noodle day” at our house, so I used homemade extra wide noodles instead of store-bought dry ones.  This is my kind of dish - quick, easy and so good.
I served this with baked cod fillets and broccoli and onions au gratin.  It would be equally delicious with ham, pork chops or roast or beef, like Myrna's meatloaf.                  
Poppy Seed Noodles N' Cream
  8     ounces  Noodles -- Extra Wide
  1     cup Sour Cream
 1/4   cup Butter
  2     teaspoons Poppy Seed
 1/2   teaspoon Salt
·         In 3 quart saucepan, cook noodles according to package directions. 
·         Return to pan, adding remaining ingredients.
·         Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and heated through. (1 to 2 minutes)
6 servings
2011 cost:  $1.37 or 23¢ per serving
Per Serving: 294 Calories; 17g Fat (52.6% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 74mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, man... Carbohydrates!!! I have had an overwhelming craving for them ever since the cold weather arrived. This recipe has everything I want. One thing, though: would a little addition of parmesan or romano cheese work?

    The recipe includes a combination of ingredients--noodles and sour cream--which I havent't tried before. To include cheese, whould I need to reduce the amount of sour cream, lest the fat content be too high?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Marge - you might want to try Fettuccine Alfredo, for the Parmesan cheese option.
    I'm sure a little Parmesan sprinkled on top of this would work, but this recipe is good just as it is.

    http://iowasue.blogspot.com/2010/04/fettuccini-alfredo.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both sound delicious; thanks for pointing me toward the second option!

    I'm off to check out that Fettuccine Alfredo!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.