Beef Stroganoff

I think I first made Beef Stroganoff in home economics class as a teenager; we won't talk about how long ago….it’s a classic American dish that used to be very popular for entertaining.  This recipe from "Land O Lake Comfort Foods shows you why – it’s just as delicious as ever – and you can stretch that pound of pricey beef to feed 6 generously. I like to deglaze the pan with a tablespoon or two of sherry for extra flavor.  I used my own homemade noodles
                                        Beef and Onion Stroganoff
  3       Tablespoons Butter
  2       Medium Onion -- 1/4" slices
  8       Ounces Fresh Mushrooms -- sliced
  4       Teaspoons Garlic -- minced
  1       Pound Beef Sirloin -- bite-sized strips
  2       Tablespoons Sherry (my addition)
  1 3/4  Cups  Water
     1/4  Cup  Ketchup
  2         Teaspoons Beef Base -- or bouillon granules
     1/2  Teaspoon Salt
     1/3  Cup Flour, All-purpose
  1         Cup Sour Cream -- regular, light or low fat
  6         Cups Hot Cooked Noodles
 In 12 inch skillet, melt butter until sizzling; add onions.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened (4-5 minutes).
Stir in mushrooms and garlic.  Continue cooking 5 minutes.  Remove mixture with slotted spoon.  Set aside.
In same skillet, place beef.  Cook over medium-high heat until browned. (6-8 minutes).  Deglaze pan with sherry, if desired.
Stir in 1 cup water, ketchup, bouillon and salt.  Continue cooking until mixture just comes to a boil (2 to 3 minutes).  Reduce heat to medium-low.  Cook 10 minutes.
In small bowl, with wire whisk, stir together remaining 3/4 cup water and flour until smooth; stir into beef mixtures.
Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil (2 to 3 minutes).  Boil 1 minute.
Add onion mixture and sour cream.  Continue cooking until mixture is heated through (3 to 4 minutes).  Serve over hot cooked noodles.

3 comments:

  1. Steve and I LOVE stroganoff!!!

    This is a straightforward recipe I'd love to try for a special dinner--candlelight and soft music in the background...I already know Steve will like it.

    A question: do you think the quality of the sauce would be affected if I used half sour cream and half Greek yogurt? I've begun using yogurt as a total or partial replacement for sour cream, but suspect it wouldn't be a great idea to substitute it for all of the sour cream in this recipe.

    Thanks for offering another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marge
    I have used yogurt also as a sub for sour cream. I don't think I would use more than half yogurt in this recipe though. There is some taste and texture difference.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.